Thread: New Fishing Rod - Help

New Fishing Rod - Help

Guys & Girls

I am looking at getting a new rod and am seeking some expert advice.

Looking for something about ten foot in a two piece, needs to have a soft tip. Will be using a five inch Alvey and six to eight pound line. Targeting bream, whiting, flathead, gar, chopper tailor and luderick. Maybe even a squid or two.

What are your recommendations.

Cheers.

Derek

flathead_killer

Re: New Fishing Rod - Help

Depends on your budget but I have had a 10'6" butterworth Power Rod for 17 years not with a 6" alvey mate I still use it more than any other rod it will catch anything you put against it. One piece though. There are still a good price for what they are.

Swoop

Budget is open actually as I want something decent that is that is multi purpose. The reason for a two piece is that I want to put it inside the car.

Cheers.

Derek

Derek,

Having a picked up a Mag Bream ealrier this year - I can't say enough about it. I know they make a two piece in around the 10-11 foot range which would be ideal for what you want it for. Nice soft action but with good power. Up there with one of the best rods I've ever owned for light beach estury work.

Brett

I'm no expert but I have found the mag bream or the wilson 10'6 black magic ( 2 piece) are excellent choices for all the applications you have mentioned.

Both can be mated up with a alvey 55 or alvey 600a

In fact I bought mine off Gav

Thanks guys. I have heard about them. Anyone else got some advice.

Derek

Any further advice on this one.

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek,
    There is a suction cap rod holder that mounts on your roof. Easy to carry a single 8-10 ft rod.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks Peterbo3 but when you leave the car anywhere it is still there waiting for some light fingered sod to walk off with.

Thats the reason for the two-piece.

Derek

Hoping someone can provide me with some good hints re: tackle, rods and spots to fish at Woody Head / Iluka. Am heading down that way with the family and looking forward to wetting a line.

cheers wow

Derek,
    Have a look at a 4126 blank. I think that is what the breambo is made on. I get my rods made without the traditional EVA(black foam) grips and usual winch mount but go for a zip winch mount about 6" from the base with a plain rubber butt on the end. Doesn't usually cost any extra to have them made this way, find I don't use the grips anyway. I now get the last two feet painted white when they're built also, makes is easier to see the tip when fishing at night.

Cheers, Clutter.

Derek,

Im new to the surf thing but recently went looking for a rod for a 5inch Alvey.

I bought a 10,5 foot two peice Gary Howard Light Surf made on Pacific Composite blank for $160.00. Its fibreglass but feels nearly as light as graphite.

The sales guy used to build rods for Gary and only had good things to say about his rods and Pacific blanks and I thought the price was pretty good for a custom rod.
    This was on the Sunshine Coast.

Regards
    Doomy

Buy a longer car!!! 8)