Thread: LEADERS(TROLLING)

LEADERS(TROLLING)

I brought a micro mullet today and went trolling with it as well as trolling a bomber.

Id caught a couple of bream with the micro mullet and then near dark I got slammed by a big boy that peeled of 20 meters of line and bit me clean off,taking my lure as a souvenir,( $ 13.50) GONE!!!

My question is <what is a good leader to use for trolling so this doesnt happen again?

Ive got to say though ,im more sore about loosing a good fish than loosing the lure...

Will... >

Re: LEADERS(TROLLING)

sometimes any amount of leader strength wont do the job. you coulda hooked a jack or cod. what line class are you fishing?

Big_Kev

When you start to troll lures for bigger fishon dark be prepared to get smashed up and bring out the wallet.
    Heavier leader may put them off.
    You should be content to know that what you are doing is producing the result.
    Just shed a tear and don't dare telll the missus you just lost that new lure, just tell her it worked a treat and you need to get another.LOL.
    Cheers Kev.

Only 9lb on the micro,and 20lb on the bomber(no traces).Wish it hit my bomber instead, but it looks like micro mullets are a big hit with the o'l fish when it comes to trolling.Ill be getting another...

Your right about the leader jeffo,but Ill have to get a good alround leader though...

Will...

when you buy your new micro to replace the old one buy yourself some 30lb leader material. if you cant stop them with that then they aint gunna be stopped good luck on the next trip.

Thanks fellas .

Ill have 30lb next time.

Will...

Will, good luck getting a micro to perform the same with 30lb trace, i think reel hards hit the nail on the head.

did anyone else see the report of the 13 kg spanish mackerel caught around the slipping sands at Jumpinpin last week? Might need more than 30 lb leader to stop that one!

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

geez what fun it would be to get a nice mackerel in the pin imagine on a weekend trying to slow the screaming run down before a speedboat ran your line over

Re: LEADERS(TROLLING).

Try a Bimini Twist double as your leader if you want a bit of extra strength/stretch in your lighter line class. If they bite you off though theres not much you can do......
    lucky bugger! wish it happened to me!!

Willster,
    Give Harros Knotted Dogs a try. Various models in the range to suit most applications. Great idea that does work.
    Check em out at http://www.ausfish.com.au/harro/knotteddogs.htm

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au