Thread: Wire to Mono?

Wire to Mono?

Hi guys,

Will be taking the next three weeks off and will be doing a considerable amount of fishing

Dad and I were sitting down after worlk doing a little bit of rigging up in anticipation when he cast aspersion upon my nice 30lb stainless wire to 40LB Mono Spotty rigs. I tie about 12cm of wire onto the hook and using an albright join a length of 40LB Penn 10x mono leader.

We tested the strength of the rig and to my dissapointment and embarrasment we found the albright failed badly on all occasions - it seems the wire is cutting the mono at the tip of the join. #

What is your reccomendation for a good wire to mono join? I need help here or Dad is going to make me use a swivel - I couldn't bear it #

Cheers
    Steve. #

Re: Wire to Mono?

Steve, you can get teflon tubing or other tubing to put over the wire then do your knot should solve that... you might need to do a haywire twist in the wire not just a fold as it may just pull out, wouldnt be to worried about having a small swivel though.

Rob

G'day Steve,Nothing wrong with a swivel,get a black one and as Rob said a haywire twist for the conections.

Bugga - you sods are no help at all! - now I have to eat humble pie to Dad >

Oh well - a swivel won't kill me I suppose. I must admit I was surprised how much strength was lost in the join. Ok then - to make it a bit more general a question, I will be fishing Pillies and strips under a float for spotties - what is your preffered terminal rig?

Thanks for the input guys!

Cheers
    Steve

Steve, whats wrong with my suggestion of the tubing ??? should suit your purpose. i hardly ever bait fish for small mackerel so use a different rig than what your after.

Rob

Hi Steve
    If your targeting spotties out at palm beach reef use strand wire the smallest black swivel strait to 10-15 kg main line drop the 40lb mono leader. and just let them run
    Different story when the blues hit
    Cheers Steve----

aquarius

Steve why use wire unless maybe for trolling .......I just use a 30 lb mono leader tied to a small black swivel........a set of 4 ganged hooks does the job for me and sure you may get the odd fish cutting the mono but hey you will get heaps more fish than if wire is used.
    Hope you and your Dad catch a bag limit of spotties these holidays.
    Cheers Brent

If you must use wire I'd be going for 49 strand wire and a few crimps and as Mackmauler said to stop chaffing of the mono leader use the plastic tubing.The leader that I use is Duel Fluoro Carbon.Hope it helps.

I agree with Brent. If you can steer clear of wire and use a normal leader with ganged hooks you will get more hookups. On occasions I have used wire with live bait and seen the mackeral just swimming around it. I usually fish with two lines out, one with wire and one with normal leader (with ganged hooks for the toothy critters). I get most hookups on the line with the normal leader. Hope this helps. Cheers Stu.

I agree, lose the wire. Match the hook size in the gangs for the length of the pilly.

I havent fished for mackerel for very long however i reckon i have a gun livey rig setup, i've used the 12. Rigging With Wire: Flemish Eye from geoff wilsons book to create a 2 hook livie rig with 6'0 penetrator hooks and a single black rolling swivel. the wire was 7 strand , cant remember strength (very thin though). i have no mono trace, straight to my main line of the baitrunner

i use a 40lb clear mono leader when i'm fishing for the macks.... 12lb main line.
    mono is cheaper to loose than wire, and if you get a shark well all it's cost you is a hook an 40cm's of line. total cost 20c. with wire you loose the whole thing. total cost $2 / rig.

but get a very good quality line with minimal stretch. strick rate will be so much better than wire.