Thread: Best Reel For The Job?

Best Reel For The Job?

Hi,

I'm thinking about a Calcutta 700 or one of the Trinidad range of reels on a Live Fibre rod for trolling on Mackeral, Sailfish etc and also some bottom fishing on the reef. Does anyone have an opinion on what would be the better choice reel and why? Thanks.

Re: Best Reel For The Job?

wouldnt get either, a lever drag is much better

agree with mack for any type of lightgame and game fishing lever drag is the way to go even for bottom bashing
    i use my charter speacil for both battom and light game rigged with 20lb fireline on a 20lb-28lb backbone and i love it
    controled drop for the bottom or instant adjustment for fighting the bigger fish
    truly the way to go!

Have to agree there as well. A TLD 20 by Shimano is pretty much the benchmark here. Penn (don't trust them myself) also make this style of reel as does Diawa now. Always had TLD's on our boat and never a problem from squire to marlin they worked well. Match em to a rod that can put the brakes on a decent fish though.

Thanks for the Advice guys. I guess I was looking for an outfit that could try and do everything.

get the tr2000 or tld20 match it to a GOOD rod and you can just about do everything! i know i try and make my tr2000 (charter special) do everything i chase you bottom dellers on it right to you spanish mack, yalla fins, small strippiys (when around) it is my allround rod/reel first rod in the boat last one out!

hope it helps

just so you know what it looks like and give you a better idea of the type it is heres a pic

Camh
    There are quite a few reels that will do the job, depending who you talk to, But I would avoid using a reel that has a level wind mechanism if you intend on doing any serious trolling for high speed pelagics(sails wahoo etc). The level winds just dont handle racing back and forward at 10,000 miles an hour.

Cheers Tony

haven't had a problem with mine yet (touchwood) but in saying that i do watch the line a lot more carefuly and have change lines a few times it does wear alot quicker
    but then again there is no real alrounder reel thats why a also have my game rods and reels

yeh as i qouted i do only use it for bottom bashing and LIGHT game only

Quote Originally Posted by basserman
    i use my charter speacil for both battom and light game rigged with 20lb fireline on a 20lb-28lb backbone and i love it
    Basserman....
    Do you have any problems with it loaded with braid? Cos I got one and I was contemplating braid! Can you cast any sort of distance with it?

Has anyone had a go at the new mitchel TI reels yet? They look to be pretty solid. They are lever drag with or without level wind. A good looking drag , similar to the internationals. Any feedback?
    Basserman
    Wasnt bagging your charter special, but he did say he wanted to use it for sails and stuff. The charter specials are a damm good reel for general purpose work as you say.

Cheers Tony

I would steer clear of the CT 700 if you intend floating baits down for snapper,they have a weakness internaly and don't like being put into gear when a fish is screaming of with the bait,the part costs about $10 plus fiting.Lever drag reels are good but no where as versatile as a Trinidad(in my opinion),they can be used for high speed spin/verticle jigging with a 6.2 to 1 gearing,they have a bait runner system so are quite at home floating baits,I have seen them used in deep water with a pound and a half of lead on them over the past season and a half with no noticeable wear to them and they can throw a bait/slug out of sight.Earlier this year my mate landed a 50 pound Wahoo on his of Evans,the reel handled it with ease.Drag tension is something that everyone comes to terms with on a star drag with experience.
    Joe Cool,I have 30 pound Platil Millenium Hotfibre 2 braid on my Charter Special and I doubt God could cast it,I think the level wind crosses the spool to slowly causing the braid to pack the coils on side by side instead of a bit of overlaping,the result on mine is a tendancy to dig in slightly,no matter how tightly it is packed on.

I have one of the mitchel ti 20-30 have found it to be a great reel I think I can get 14kg drag very solid nice and smooth I am thinking about getting the next size down as well

i like the braid for the low drag but it does dig into itself a bit would go much havier than 20lb haven't seen the need yet anyway have managed to get some very nice fish with the set up

the casting is a bit hard but it isn't really a casting rod and reel but you can manage a 10m or so cast to get a livie out the back a bit or on to a fad but not much more

as for a marlin i do prefure to use my game rods even tho the charter does come out just in case we come across a school of tuna or dollies or the like