Thread: Daiwa Samurai ??

Daiwa Samurai ??

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a Daiwa Samurai 2500 spinner for the right price - I wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on them. I was planning to use it primarily as a bream reel for soft plastics etc.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve

Re: Daiwa Samurai ??

Hi Steve.

I've had one for just on a year - nice reel - smooth drag. It's done quite a bit of work, all in the salt water environment without any sign of trouble.

Having said that, there are some who have had this reel and have had corrosion problems. I'm not aware of how they were treated (saltwater immersion/spray, cleaning, maintenance etc) so can't comment on the reasons for that.

I'm happy with mine and would buy another if I needed more reels. Come to think of it, I lost one recently! Springwood Marine here I come!

I have a 3500 which i use for snapper fishing in PPB in melb. I wasn't happy with the drag, so i replaced some of the washers with teflon. Job done! Have caught a few decent fish on it( 5kg +) with no negative effects. Will consider buying another when i need one. Great price for a 7 b/b reel

You can get 3 ball bearing or 7 ball bearing in the Samurais. Not sure which one you mean but I think they're both pretty good value for money.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I have both the 7 ball baring and the 3 ball baring job which i use for bream and flatties with soft plastics. I found the 3 ball bearing better value for money. I have since upgraded to the kastor models which are as smooth as silk and worth every bit of the extra 30 to 40 bucks.If you can't afford the extra for a Kastor then i would go for the 3 ball bearing model as they are cheaper,work the same and the 7 bearing model which has got a reputation for corrossion problems within the bearing race.

Cheers Smithy..... 8)

I have both a Samuri 7i and a Kastor for my bream reels. The Samuri has been OK however I find you really have to keep the maintenance up to it (I take care to clean and use a water displacing spray every trip but I have still had to pull it down a couple of times in the last 18 months). The Kastor gets the same treatment but has never been pulled down. I would agree that for the extra $40-50 you would be better off with a Kastor.

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks Guys,

I got a new 7i off ebay for $30 less than it would have cost me at Amart - so I figured it was worht a go. I will keep a careful eye on the maintenance and save my pennies for the Laguna that I really want!

Cheers
    Steve.