Thread: spinnerbait stinger hooks.

spinnerbait stinger hooks.

have some bassman and auspinn spinnerbaits that i want to attach a stinger hook to in conjuction with a plastic trailer to add more bulk..What size /brands to suit a 4-5 inch plastic on the above3/4 oz baits.s/b have 5/0 and 6/0 hooks.
    cheers george.

Re: spinnerbait stinger hooks.

i find myself that a smaller stinger than the main is the go.
    the main reson for the stinger is normaly the bass cod whatever is hitting the skirt or blades and thats why i use a smaller hook less visual but sticks out that extra inch so when a fish hits the skirt BAM the stinger gets um!

so go one size down also means the hook is less lickly to swing and foul in the air.

brands well thats rally personal prefrance as long as it is strong enought and sharp enought

cheers have fun

G'day Big George
    Get in touch with Hodgy, he's got the biggest arsenal of spinnerbaits I've ever seen. Most of em have stingers & big plastic trailers on em. Ithink you can get stinger hooks from Bassman by mail order ,they're around Kempsy somewhere.
    By the way mate, check out the pic of swano & that orange sooty in B'n'B, Geeeeezzz he's gettin ugly

Cheers Chris

hi Chris.
    have talked to hodgie re the stinger hooks.Hope to hook up with him and birdy in the new year.Swano,orange sooty.What month B N B.Alan deaner must have put them in.Ugly,you don't have to fish with him.Then again you fished with mike hunt didn't you .How did you go at Copeton?????What were your best lures.

have a merry christmas chris
    regards george.

Stingers can definately improve the hook-up ratio. I run them 90% of the time & curse myself everytime I'm not running one & get a whack with no hook-up.
    I use Gamakatsu Siwash hooks in either the same size hook or 2 or 3 sizes smaller. Preferably a bit smaller if possible. I crush the barb on the main hook & slip a bit of fish tank airhose over the eye of the stinger & thread it on with pliers. BE BLOODY CAREFUL cause when it goes through, it usually goes in a hurry! Have impaled myself a couple of times doing it in a hurry. The hose helps to keep it straight but no real need if you're running a franger trailer.
    I personally aint a big fan of the franger trailer but I know my old mate Dave Hodge loves them. Living where he does he's caught alot more & bigger cod than me so......... I guess its got to with what you've got confidence in.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Thanks for the info fitzy.
    have a merry christmas.
    regards big george.

Hey George
    The pic of swano is in the January 04 B'N'B
    Copeton, didnt raise a scale mate, wet,cold & windy,
    Havn't caught a cod yet but caught yellas on purple/black & pearl/white, red/black has alway's been a good standby .

Have a merry christmas George & hope to see you all at faust next year
    Cheers Chris