Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What line for TLD15?

NQCairns

Re: What line for TLD15?

Yeah I fish for fun and a feed, it swaps 100 times a trip, i have no spare fishing time for those that waste mine with thin line. 9 or 12kg (+ but not often)#for everything that might grow big enough to weigh more than the line size. nq

Well guys, it's all a matter of personal choice.

I had had me TLD15 for many years now and found the sucker almost unbreakable.

I only use it for deep water fish and have it loaded with 50lb Braid. I hear you guys gasping with fear. FEAR NOT, this reel is a friggin workhorse and with the right drag settings will not be defeated by any denison of the deep.

I have manhandled Skarks that went 8ft ( wieght ? ) and speeding Ambo's from the depths. Sure, if you want to monster the fish to the surface in record time, go TLD 25 2 speed etc etc.

But for me, the reel is light and tough. The 50lb braid is still thinner in diameter than the line class meant for the reel ( and rod ) which means it cuts the water with less drag to reach the target fish. Shoot, I even used it to troll for Shark Macks and Mahi Mahi on the Ribbon Reefs off Cairns.

Overkill ? maybe ? 8)

But, when I push the lever to " sunset " and turn the heads of Ambos and the like, the only thing I'm worried about is " will the ROD hold up " ?

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I'm with jeremy, the lighter you can go the better i will fish 2.7kg braid for spotties in the bay and i find it gives me a longer more enjoyable / challenging fight than skull dragging them in on my baitrunner with 9kg line. I have no quams about tiring out a few fish, or losing the odd bit of line compared to what some of the pros haul in each year + the amount of disgarded long lines etc

Thanks guys, but settle down! A couple of suggestions thats all.
    I was looking at the braid to mono comparison more so.
    If I run braid how much and how much backing?
    Does good quality mono 'spiral' on a TLD?

Cheers, MON>

For use in the bay a good mono like momoi in 10kg would be my choice.

hey bad buby what does the "25" on the TLD25 stand for? 25lb? yeah i thought so. they designed the TLD50 2 speed for 50lb line. and mate i used to care about ANSA records but not any more. and in reply to your "side affects" with using light line-
    -the key is not loosing the hundreds of meters of line to start with
    -buy a rod that is rated to your line class and you will be using it to its full potential.
    -learn new knots and other methods of conecting leader to light line (plait for a double, to snap, to leader.. i cant see any problem with that)
    -does it matter if the fish is dead if your going to gaff it
    -8kg line needs just under 3kg drag setting, if you cant land a fish quickly with that you have much to learn... thats what motors are for!
    -if your fishing partners are on the ball you wont be wasting any ones fishing time or getting in anay ones way.
    jeff

Jeffo: Incase you can't tell I'm not interested in playing the light line game and neither are half the other people here. Do your own thing and use bream line on game reels, see if I care.

mon: I'd agree with mackmauler, momoi in 10kg would suit the TLD15, its good stuff. IMO just stick to a brand name mono. My favourites are the ones with little memory, but I think it is important to choose a leader that has a fair bit of memory to compensate (i.e. either jinkai or black magic). For the main line my recommendations would be: Platypus platinum, Penn 10x, Platypus Pink, Ande Pink, and Tortue mono (if you can get it). Once again in the 20lb to 30lb range. You will forget about trying 4kg when you are standing over the fish of a lifetime.

i cant remember any one mentioning 4kg? 6 was thrown in there but i think 8-10 was every one else's calls. ill stand strongly by my 8kg recommendation.

okay go higher, any bids for ten??

lol. i think mon has made his desicion anyways.

I think this post was about what line to use on a TLD15 in Moreton Bay. The fact is the TLD15 is designed for 15 lb line. As I stated there is rarely any need to fish heavier than this in the bay, so 6-8 kg line class would be ideal.

I take Phil's poit that the TLD15 can be used for heavier line if required, but why bother for bay use? If you want to catch big cobes or kings from the Curtin Artificial, then you'll need 24 kg minimum anyway.

The majority of fish I catch live baiting or trolling on my TLD15 are in the 2-10 kg size range, and all there are easily handled on 8 kg line. I lose the odd fish in the reef and I had one longtail break the line at the gaff after 2 hours on 10 kg line on a spinning outfit (I was by myself), but I accept that I will lose the odd fish but land most of them. I have never been outfished in my boat or anyone else's by someone using heavier line than me.

Bubby, there is nothing wrong with using 15 kg or 24 kg line if the size of the fish or the structure of the reef calls for it, but I can't see the need for either in Moreton Bay. To me there is no fun in skull dragging fish back to the boat, but then each to their own eh!

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Isnt it better to play nicely boys
    Now i agree that 8-10 kg is what should be used down there only because that is what the locals are suggesting and bad bubby you arent a local, however you are a local to the north and lucky enough to need to use line that heavey. This post has made me realise that i will never move down south again. I often hookup to fish around here which i need something heavier than 10kg for. almost every trip. Where are all the bigguns down there?
    Tim

but I accept that I will lose the odd fish but land most of them
    Good on you, I prefer to land everything I hook and get a good fight out of the fish. I am sorry if thats a crime.

bad bubby you arent a local
    I lived in Brisbane for 4 years and did alot of land based gamefishing around Amity and Point Lookout. I''ve also been on charter trips to the Curtin Reefs. There are good fish
    in the bay, its a bit hit and miss though (sometimes crowded too). Some of the tuna runs weren't bad, big yellowtail kingfish and ocassional cobes.

Ah well my point is that if most people want to use line like that then there obviously isnt much to offer in size down there too often.
    We had kiels 10-15 kilo rod at the marina a few times with 30 pound line and not able to pull or stop some of the bastards tearing around the place, and thats only the marina.

there obviously isnt much to offer in size down there too often.
    Don't know about that Tim, if you saw a pack of 20kg yellowtail kings cruising on the surface at maggie you would crap yourself. Seen it happen a few times in Moreton Bay. Never heard of this business of getting spooled in the marina all I heard about were black tip reef sharks...those things are annoying as hell in my books. Maybe you should get a TLD15 for the marina?