Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BaitCaster for salt water ??

Re: BaitCaster for salt water ??

My 2 cents if it's not too late...

I spent about 3 months looking and testing baitcasters before finding one that really stood out from all the others.

Some of the reels I looked at and tried were Shimano's Calcutta, Calais, Cronarch and Curado, Daiwa Millionaire CVX and CVZ, Pfleuger Trion, Tica (Can't remember what model), and several ABU's.

My pick out of them all was a Daiwa Millionaire CVX 103. Nice small light baitcaster, excellent drag system (if not a bit light, but that can be fixed), billeted aluminium and magnetic braking system. That was until I found probably the last remaining CVX105 in Brisbane. All I can say is that if you see one in a shop, ask them to put some line on it and have a cast. You'll be as amazed as I was.

Only one problem... I'm thinking I should have gone for the slightly larger CVX203/205. If anyone knows of a 205 sitting in a shop, please let me know.

with this ABU's what is the litest wieght you can cast
    can i throw 1/4 oz jig head ?? ??? ??? ???
    then it realy gets ughly

I currently have a CVX205 with 15kg silaflex braid spooled on and I love it. I would love to get another one but apparently the 105 and 205 were a limited import of a Japanese only model by Daiwa Australia, the were also about $100 cheaper than the CVX203's, hence you probably will have trouble finding one for sale now. If you do find CVX205 in a tackle shop grab it. Expect to pay around $280-$320.

Cheers,
    Jay.

Cloud 9
    With the abus the weight you can cast depends on a lot of factors such as the line class, the distance you are trying to achieve and even the quality of the line. With jig heads and lures of very light weights I still use a Good quality spin reel with light line. I have never managed to get the same distance and ease of use with any baitcaster in that sort of weight class.

Regards Tony