Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BaitCaster for salt water ??

Re: BaitCaster for salt water ??

Cloud_9,

Have 4 ABUs (6000c4, 6500c, 4500c4, 1022+) dating back to the early 80's. Only one died after a trip to Arhnem land, but good as new after a service and some new bearings. Would of helped if I did some maintaince . They're almost indestructable.

For my money its the millionaires or calcuttas. Both are reliable and proven by many fishos in the salt. My brother has a millionaire and its done some amazing things - like taking on 40lb longtail which came within inches of spooling him on its first run.

Stick to the name brands and you'll be fine.

George

On Harros website this question came up recently and the only baitcaster that no one seemed to be able to find any fault with was the Millionaire. Ive got my eye on a CVZ right now - beautiful piece of engineering. Big $$$ but great reel. I've got plety of ABUs as well but there is just no comparison to the Millionares. The Cheaper Millionaire S series ($160-170) is a great buy and still built as tough as the CVX and CVZ. It also comes with a better drag than the ABU.

I have yet to check out the new millionaires, but it seems I will have to do so. Another reel that diawa seems to be getting all the raves about is the Saltiga. Anyone had any dealings with those yet?

Agnes_Jack: I think the saltigas are light overhead reels.

Duncs: Don't be fooled into buying an 's' series millionaire. For $160 I would be getting a 5600c4. There is so much graphite on the millionaire 250s and 300s it is ridiculous. They are about as good as Shimano Corsairs . However the 'z' millionaire is an unbelievable piece of engineering. Too bad daiwa can't make spin reels in the same calibre

Yea i was going to say that, the s models dont have an extreem price drop for nothing, Next time your in a tackle store ask for a z and s model and open them up and have a look, you will be surprised just how much work has gone into the z series, hence the high price tag.
    Tim
    PS dont ya just love how easy they are to pull apart.

PS dont ya just love how easy they are to pull apart.
    Tim: are you saying you own a Daiwa millionaire z? ???

Daiwa has saltigas in both overhead and spinning reels. I think they are all at least $1000.

Neptune: You can get them for around $700 in the overhead models (I think?), and there are two spin models, the expensive one setting you back some 1.2 thousand!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Bubby

Tim: are you saying you own a Daiwa millionaire z? ???
    Ha i wish, ive been looking closely at them lately and had the complete run down about ten times over. Now that im drooling i need to convince angela. The bloke at higgos is going to give me a good deal if i decide to go ahead with it.
    By the way the abu's are still holding up, the 5600 still no service and working perfect. I thought after seeing yours go that mine was on its way out aswell.
    Tim

Yeah bubby
    The saltiga is a light overhead. I guess I was getting off the subject at hand. But supposed to be very well designed sealed drags and bearings etc and highly reliable.
    Tony

I had the cvz253 and it was very nice to use I would say the best but if it is going to be used on some of the bigger fish the penn 955 and the 965 which I now use are tuffer but not as smooth

The bloke at higgos is going to give me a good deal if i decide to go ahead with it. #
    Never been into the new Higgo's store. He has a good range of tackle, I would be wary of any deals he offers you though. Tim (the other Tim I know) got a CV253x from ######### real cheap about a year ago (think it was around $340). The best thing to do is wait for Higgo or some other local store to put one on special and get 10% off at #########. Problem is that Protackle, 7 to 7 and Tackle World do not stock daiwa to any real level, and 'Fishing Spot' (thuringowa) #rarely has any good deals on pricey stuff. #Either way if you are not careful you will be joining me in the bachelors club

I thought after seeing yours go that mine was on its way out aswell.
    With proper servicing they will last for many years. When mine conked out there was some serious saltwater corrosion in there. It would have been fine if I took it apart after all those maggie trips. Now it is back to full health (stripped it down twice) . Let me tell you it got a damn good workout on those goldens and salmon in Weipa . If yours hasn't been serviced yet it may suffer the same problem as mine in the near future.

Mad_Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Bubby
    Never been into the new Higgo's store. He has a good range of tackle, I would be wary of any deals he offers you though.
    Why would you make that comment if you've never been in the there ??

If you's are serious, go in, see Richard, tell him "the other dick" sent you in. Ask for the CVX 105 & 205's. I'm sure there's still a couple in stock, (not sure if both sizes though, I'll let you know tommorow).

They're a special daiwa model, sort of in between the regular cvx 103/ 203's & the cvz 103/203's, more compatable with lighter lures & braid.

They have the drilled/lightened wiffle spool & titanium line guide.

You may find, for some reason, they come in a bit cheaper than the regular cvx/s, and much cheaper than the cvz's ## #

I've got one of each, 20lb on the 105 & 30lb on the 205 & happy with both.

The penn ht100 drag washers from a 955/965, go straight in the 205, making the drag as beefy & as smooth as you'll get on any baitcaster #....an abu 5600 with some trimmed down ht100 washers on the inner set comes in a close second #

He'll have a set of those in stock as well.
    Note, they moved just before christmas to the shops on the corner of bayswater & kings road.

They'll be closed for the day on tuesday.

#

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko

Why would you make that comment if you've never been in the there ??
    Im sure hes been in there other store and has his opinions.

Daniel, i went into the fishing spot and i got 20 percent off the millionair which brought it to 320 but the deal has finished and im still trying to explain to the misses why i need to spend more big dollars when i never bring home dinner

Just a little something to think about fellas
    Any tackle store worth its salt will look after the REGULAR customers who support them. Many will offer discounts on bait, tackle and rods and reels if you return the favour and look after them. Many are run by fishermen (and women) and can offer advise on many issues as well as good after sales service. When you go to a new area and need to know the local goss on whats happening, where you can pump yabbies or net some fresh mullet, how certain areas have been fishing, whats biting where etc etc, Where do you go? The local tackle store or the multi- national chain store? Does ####### hand out free tide charts and keep you informed of local issues or lobbie for support on green zone closures etc? Are the chain stores open for you all weekend when you need bait or tackle or perhaps a part for your reel in an emergency? Will they do an overnight repair on a rod so you can still fish the next day? You speak of using a tackle store to save 10% on a rod from the chain stores which equates to say 20 or 30 dollars saving, but a good tackle store will save you that on 1 or 2 trips with a regulars discount on your bait! Think about how you would feel about this same type thing happening in your own buisness would that be fair to you? Give your local tackle shop a chance to do you a favour and return one back to them. A little bit of communication may be the better option when you feel you are not being looked after by your local tackle store and if they dont respond find a better one. But above all at the least give them a go!

Cheers Tony