Thread: Are downriggers worth the effort in the saltwater?

Are downriggers worth the effort in the saltwater?

Have read lots of posts here showing home made downriggers. Some are very impressive.

Am inclined to make one myself but am wondering if they are worth the effort for use around Moreton Bay.

Whaddya reckon, please?

Re: Are downriggers worth the effort in the saltwa

in a word.. FOR SURE!!! on a day where the when fish like spaniards, cobes and kingys are hard to come by having a downrigger can be the difference between getting a few or getting none. keeping a bait down deeper lets you fish areas you wouldnt normally get to.

Mate once you learn how to use one, and the advantages they'll give you.
    With there help you can be more precise and out preform a normal rig, and thats not just in strong current either, you get the advantage of using lighter gear, with no weight attached, where normally you'd be using heavy tackle and house bricks.
    You'll then wonder why you never try it before.
    regards

Big_Kev

Haven't been able to get anything on mine yet, but haven't been able to give it a good go either.
    And as Webby say's, they take some trial and error to get em to work properly and know how to use them.
    I lost my bomb the last time, pole to long and going to fast and bounce snapped the bomb off.
    ie; shorten pole and have bomb hooked on a hook when traveling.
    All part of learning how to use the thing.
    But the theory is there, so I will percevere.
    Cheers Kev.

hey charleville

like the guys have said,when you start out they can be a real pain in the bum.you;ll have to muck around making it then as kev said you'll probably lose your gear and catch nothing for a while but once you work through the bad bits you;ll be rapt.

the things they can do are endless
    cheers scott

I understand Snappa has had some fun with his new unit