Thread: Len Butterworth split cane rods

Grant_Woodbridge

Len Butterworth split cane rods

I am hoping someone may know about a couple of fishing rods I inherited from grandfather and father. I do not know when they were made but they have a sticker on each saying Len Butterworth Brisbane and near the sticker is a number in black on the hexagonal shaped cane. I believe the last time they were used was in the 1950's from the fishing stories I can remember my grandfather talking about, and look new but also old (if that makes sense). They are large and are like beach rods. I am not game to use them as I am used to modern rods and would be terrified if I broke or damaged them in case someone wanted to collect them or something. Does anyone know if they are junk or rare or any history on these.

Re: Len Butterworth split cane rods

Grant w
    Whatever you do, treat them with extreme care. Old cane rods are a collectors item now and ones in good condition are like hens teeth. Definatly worth talking to somebody who knows more about thier worth. It would be interesting to find out thier age and history. Perhaps they may be a good item to pass on to your own kids as a family hierloom. Here is the number for a bloke who may be able to tell you more about thier history,

Peter Mulhall-(07)41594935

Regards Tony

Big_Kev

Get yourself a couple of old wooden Alveys and hang em on the wall.
    Cheers Kev.

Definately,
    Ive got a split cane fly rod from the states that is being slowly restored. Beautiful action but to be treated with kid gloves. these things sell for a fortune on e-bay. Stick her up on the wall where she belongs.
    Hows this freaky, i read a story about a split cane fly rod that was last used in the 1800's. it had fish scales that had become stuck in the varnish on a hot day. The remains of a good days fishing over a hundred years ago.
    cheers
    Mick

Speaking of which, I think Butterworths still a going concern. If so get in touch with them, i imagine theyd know.
    cheers
    Mick

Grant_Woodbridge

Thanks for the replies.

I will contact Peter thanks for the details Tony.

Unfortunately my kids aren't into fishing and knowing their track record would probably break them.

They would probably look good with a couple of old Alvey's Kev but my place is so full of stuff now my Mrs' would kick my .... if I do that. I expect I will get some photos of the numbering etc and put them on the website for sale so they may be cared for by a real collector of such things...before someone at my place thinks they should be turfed in her annual cleanups of my stuff.

Mick I couldn't find Butterworth on the web though there was some info on Butterworth and Snyder starting Snyder glass fishing rods.

Grant

Big_Kev

How much you want for em Grant PM me.

Len Butterworth and Butterworth are two different brands. Len Butterworth rods are awesome. I own two Super Barra's and they are fantastic snapper rods. The build quality is superb on them. Len Butterworth is responsible for starting the snyder range of rods.

Grant_Woodbridge

can't PM without five posts apparently Kev.
    Can you PM me.

The numbering on them is LB 21 and LB 24

One is a dark varnish colour and the other a lighter.

Whichever of you fellas that ends up with those rods do us all a favour and look after them. Being Australian split cane two years ago in Queensland they were only worth about $40 each where an English one of the same age was worth over $100. Whatever price you arrive at you can be setting a precedent for collectors of the future. Or you can have it hanging on the wall like mine is.
    Regards
    Grant

Grant_Woodbridge

Just a quick update, I managed to email Snyder on 16 Jan and got a reply from them as follows.

Hi there Grant
    I have spoken to Len and he reckons that the rods would have to be over
    fifty years old. They may well be blanks that Len bought from Bill Southam,
    but he said he would have to see them to be sure.

That is about all I can tell you about the rods.

Good Fishing

Adrian deBerg