Thread: Frayed Lines

Frayed Lines

I Fished a spot of mine on the Gold Coast early Sunday morning, were we hooked up on, well your guess is as good as mine. All I know that after each run there was a lot of head shaking.
    Anyway after 70 minutes of being draged around the broadwater in 7 meters of water we got busted off. We were fishing with 20lb line and trace. But the question I have is that the line came back all frayed. The line was not around a round as we were draged a couple hundred meters.

Has anyone else come across this? Has the line been over stretched? Would a sinker riding up the line cause this? And what brand of line would you suggest.
    I normally fish platypus platinum in various weights. But the line on the weekend is unknown as it was spooled when bought for me.

Thanks
    Ray

Re: Frayed Lines

Out of curiosity, what bait/lure were you using and what line class? Might have been a trevally, kingfish or even a jew. What is your guess?

The sinker should not have frayed the line. Check all your guides - this is the most likely cause. Use of piece of nylon stocking and see if it sticks or frays when it goes through each guide. Also check the lip of your spool and also the line roller and make sure it is working. Was the line frayed all the way along, or just the bit nearest the fish? Could it have gone over some rocks or around some timber.

Platypus line is good, but a bit stretchy. I used to like platypus pink, but it is no longer IGFA rated so I don't use it anymore. I am now trying Hawk tournament and so far seems OK.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Jeremy,

We were useing live Bony Bream for bait about 3 inches big. I was fishing for Jacks but I don't think it was a jack as it headed straight for deep water. I called it for a trevally as it hung very deep, and I didn't see any colour. But it sure pulled like a train

something with rough skin, like a noah, would do it.

Noah for sure, they do give good head shakes too. My guess you lip hooked it & the line was wearing on its rough skin.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

river whaler (shark)