Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota problems

Minn Kota problems

G'Day all
    would like some advice if i could
    today i was out on one of my faviote bream rivers my elect was going great guns with a full deep cycle batt.
    But then as i move on to a new spot and put it back in the water i kicked it into gear and it worked for a split second then died in the arse
    cheaked batt and lead all fine batt still had power
    Any iders?
    waiting till monday to see a mate that deals in them but thats a whole weekend of lure fishing gone never to come back again

Re: Minn Kota problems

Is it a foot control model. If it is, check the connection in the lead from the pedal. If you have a test light, go over it and find where the power is getting to and where not. Might just be a loose connection in the motor somewhere.

Clutter

yeh going to test as much as i can tomorrow
    it is a bow mount tiller steer riptide
    good unit so far and have seen my fishing results improve 100 fold

Agree with Clutter, check the foot control connection. Did you happen to try it with low power & move the slide up towards full? I had a hassle one night & found that by easing the power on it worked. Think the problem was some grit in the foot control slide. A clean up the next morning saw it working again perfectly & has never given me any trouble since. Better give it a clean again soon.

fitz..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

nah as i sayed fitzy its the bowmount tiller steer
    i wish it was that simple
    it is under a year old so still coverd by warrintie but just suck i can go fishing over the weekend
    just need to go outside and try for a dollies or kingies i guess
    lifes hard!

sometimes the minnkotas have a habit of burning out there systems.. i know of a few that burnt out on there 2nd or third use.. but i still bought one.. you might be lucky tho and it might only be something simple, but MinnKota should fix you up within a couple of days if its nything major, they usually have a 5 day turn around

Tim

Basserman
    Ive got a tiller steer riptide and once had trouble with it. It turned out to be a little bit of corrosion on 2 of the connector terminals. To fix it was just a matter of removing the screws from under the head, clean the terminals with a strip of fine sandpaper and give it a spray with wd40 or similar, quite easy to do once youve had a look. Hope that helps.
    Tony

thanks tony and tim
    i'm glad to hear there turn around isn't too long i have it in the shop now but next time i will cheak and see if it is what you say tony

I once had the power lead come off the spade terminal in the head of a 42lb Riptide tiller. All you need to do is undo a few phillips head screws to check this.
    This is also a good reason to use a circuit breaker on them. If the positive wire had touched the earth wire after it came off, I could have had a very serious problem on my hands.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Brett_Finger

NO COMMENT >

Brett
    Why the no comment? Have we offended you? ??? ???

Tony

Brett_Finger

tony.
    mate i have the curse of the Minn-Kota!!
    i'll leave it at that.hehehehe
    hookin,Brett

AHHHHH...Has your Kotta died???

Got a 55 pound riptide tiller.had a bit of trouble with mine cutting out and not restarting, but someone pointed out the small pin hole under the head unit. seems to be a reset button. every now and then it still cuts out. I just poke a little tool I made up into the hole, hits the reset and away it goes again. No problems

sound like minn kotas have a few problems
    minnkota rep fro my area is a bit worried offerd to pick it up himself and take to the factory