Thread: lure care after saltwater!

lure care after saltwater!

I need help!

i've just come back from Turross holidaying .I did plenty of fiddling around with lures trying to see what/how each worked but now have a problem....rusting lures......(trebles mainly)

what should i wash them in or treat them with?
    Most of the trebles will have to be replaced which is a pain but what can i do to avoid this happening again?

also....what should i do to my reels now.....i'm mainly a freshy but now i've got a half decent boat trips to the coast will become more regular(i hope anyway).

Re: lure care after saltwater!

first the lures; sadly trebles are alwasy going to rust when used in salt and even in freash but if your not going to use then a hell of a lot a libral spray and wipe with wd40 will help frether rust but like the most of us you just need to get used to changeing trebles easy once you have split ring pliers and fork out the extra for good trebles
    Now the reel if it is a spin reel (eggbeater) remove spool and take off side plate carefuly clean a bit and a LIGHT smear of reel grease over the moving parts put back together and wipe with damp soapy clother wipe clean and wipe over with wd40
    hope that has helped you a bit!
    cheers

I find the best way to maintain my reel after using it in the salt is to just run it under fresh water for a few minutes while winding the handle.
    Lures, you can use wd40 but it may not be too good. If a fish takes a hit at the lure and doesnt like the taste then it wont go back for a second bite. Just buy some good quality trebles and put them on as needed. they dont cost that much.

i was recomending wd40 only as it sound like you don't do a lot of fishing as i sayed if you do a hell of a lot you just need to grin and bear it! other than wd40 you could try aniseed oil, chum spray, inox, or garlic oil all of these wouldn't hurt you fishing and even some are added to lures to intice a bite

Or maybe try some tuna oil, it should prevent rust and also give a good taste as you said.
    Tim

only problem i have had with tuna oil (i use it on my hooks and tackle for outside) is it tends to be a bit thick and drys like tar
    but need to say i never have rusty hooks now LOL and i think it might of just helped my fishing a bit (god knows i need it )

will add but with my lures (and i have a few) i don't use anything just repalce the trebles when needed (or sick of fish snapping the treble) but i don't like keeping my lures too dry

I went to an old bait shop on a corner where I live and he had a cupboard full of stainless trebles of all sizes. The owner said they where hard to get so I bought them all for $130.00. So when I come home from lure fishing, I just wash the lures off in fresh water and the hooks look beautiful for the next time.

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble but stainless is exactly what it says, stains less. They will still rust over time, they may take a little longer but they will. It will mean changing trbbles a little less often but in my opinion it isnt hard and id just get cheapies. if you keep them in clean condition they shouldnt rust that quik anyway, I only noticed rusted trebbles when i go to use a lure which i didnt wash the last time i used it.
    Tim

I wash 'em in fresh, let 'em dry then spray hooks & rings with cooking oil from a spray can. Black & gold or Coles home brand. No smell, no rust & will not strip the paint from Rapala or other painted lures.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

l use lanox not to be confused with inox , this a lanolin based aerosol , non toxic , non corosive , heat resistant , not acidic , l wash all my gear gently in fresh water then spray away and wipe off excess , brings out boards up like new
    cheers spike

aquarius

For the lures just wash in warm soapy water after use and make sure they are dry before putting back into tackle box...... Reels wipe with the warm soapy water and when dry spray with a can of INOX....won,t wash off like other brand sprays.
    Cheers Brent

Try using VMC trebles the next time you have to change them. They rust the least of any hooks that I have come across.

Cheers, Clutter

Yep!
    Vmc hooks and sheep juice is the go!

Tony

warm fresh water then inox 8)

George

PG

I never use any WD40 or CRC or other lubricant/water dispersant type stuff. I'm sure it leaves an after-taste on the lures. Basically, if I wouldn't put it in my mouth, I wouldn't fish with it !
    I wash them thoroughly in fresh water (no soap) and make sure they are completely dry before I store them away again. If you're really worried, have a bucket in your boat and throw the used lures straight into it after use...then when you get home, rinse the used ones off by soaking, rinsing and repeated rinsing. I don't treat hooks as a permanent fixture of lures. They will eventually rust if they're not stainless but the cost of replacement is fairly minimal over the cost of the lure.
    When you wash your reel after fishing, give it a good wash with plenty of freshwater but be sure to tighten up your drag before you put water near it but loosen off after it's dry and for storage. This will keep the drag washers dry and effective. Don't blast the water onto it, just run it over gently so water doesn't get forced inside to working components. There's a silicone spray stuff in a small purple tin available for reels etc. It's good stuff but a little expensive for my liking. Avoid contacting solvents and oils on your line.
    Hope there's some useful bits in there, not necessarily the gospel method but it works for me !