Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRAID NIGHTMARE

Re: BRAID NIGHTMARE

yeh fair enogth a few lb heaver than the rod but surly no need to go to extrems of 30lb on a rod rated at 18lb

me myself the heavest braide i use is 20lb and thats on the big kingiys at fish rock and black rock at south west rocks
    and as for the bass i'v heard and been told to fish 30lb at lake glenbourn i went there with 8lb and never had trouble pulling the big 50+cm bass from around the fallen trees and other dead wood

Barrymundi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    ><>,

if you want to use 30 lb braid, why it the point of using a 6 kg stick? Why not use a 15 or even a 24 kg stic? I just don't understand the point of using line on a rod that is too soft to fish it to its potential, even if layingt he rod flat will stop it breaking.

For the same rerason, I don't understand the point of some people running 50 lb braid on a baitcaster when the drag on these reels is not capable of applying 15 lb drag pressure.

Is this to do with abrasion resistance or something? Am I missing the point completely?

Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,

You ever tried lure casting and working a lure with a 24kg stick?

Thicker braid packs better on the reel. Some of the thinner braid will pull down into the spool under pressure.

I use a braid that casts well, Harra's, 20 pound, sometimes 30 pound, I use 50 pound on a tld 25 for the reef.

Good to see the break away class in ANSA. I am not a supporter and catch and kill competitions... but that is another conservation and ethics story

Jeremy and co.,

Have you ever tried to connect a 100lb leader to 16lb braid ??? (100lb is pretty standard for places like Tinaroo). 50lb braid to 100lb leader is a common combination in the impoundments, good knot connections and better abrasion resistance on the timber . With proper rod work it is possible to use 30lb braid on an 8kg baitcaster, no problem. Most of the better rods in that line class can handle around 6kg of drag without any dramas. As you get into the really heavy baitcasters it is possible to fish that 50lb braid to the max. But as always stupid techniques like high rodding will snap alot of rods under such load. When you have fallen timber or oyster covered rocks everywhere the extra pulling power and abrasion resistance can come in handy. To use anything under 20lb in mono or braid for barra is a bit crazy IMO, unless you are in totally clear country, then and only then is it safe to play the ANSA game (if thats what turns you on ).

Big_Kev

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    Jeremy I was only going to get 10kg line for the 8kg rod to start with but took the advice of the saleman at the tackle store and got the 15kg line he recomended and said that he used.
    It was the same price and is still only .24mm so was able to fit it on the reel no worries.
    It is overkill but at least I should not bust the line, I tie on a leader until I got sick of the tangles.
    Thanks all Kev.

Jeremy,

Don't know if you have tried it but have a go at stopping a Faust Barra on 16lb line and you will find out pretty quickly why you use 30lb+ braid.

Also, have you and ANSA ever thought that it might be doing the fish a bit of good getting landed and released in a shorter time than playing around for ages tireing and stressing the poor creatures out while trying to go for records.

Just my thoughts anyway,

Cheers, Clutter

Thanks for the comments. I guess I can begrudgingly see some point in using heavy braid now.

><>,

all the ANSA comps I have fished allow anglers to weigh 5 - 6 fish only. No more than 2 of the same species. There are also allowances for tag and release rather than weighing fish. I don't think it is fair to call this a catch and kill comp, if that is what you were implying?

I ave never used braid on any of my reels. Not just due to ANSA, more the price and new teritory thing. I do intend to go to Peter Faust or Awoonga later this year and get a 100 point barra - I might try 8 kg line. I look forward to the challenge.

Clutter,

not all ANSA fishing is about records. Catch a couple for the table and then try to get another the same size or better on lighter line. It is a test of skill and its fun! I agree that if you are releasing fish, it is better to get them in quick, but not all fish get released either!

Cheers,

Jeremy

"The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Kev,

Most problems arise from the braid not being wound on tight. You cast out, let the lure sink, then the first few meters of line is limp as you have no tension on it, your simply winding in the belly of the line.

Try keeping the line tight [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

This is the first season, I've used a non mono line. Spider wire Stealth. 30lb.

Using it on a TSS4 & a wilson Livefibre ( RLF20 ). Can cast a country mile with it [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Big_Kev

Thanks Heath I was starting to think I might be doing the wrong thing putting on 30lb braid.
    But from the comments maybe not.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies to all.
    Cheers Kev.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

When I started using braid on my Shimano 2000 spin reel, I had a few birdsnests. The problem seems to have disappeared. Maybe use has corrected the tension.

As for over-engineering line size I'd use 1000lb braid if it was available. I might be fishing in paradise (NQ) but I don't get enough hook ups to give the buggers 1/2 a chance!