Thread: Reel servicing

Reel servicing

I'm looking to get my ABU 7000 (ambasseuduer) serviced, does anyone know people that do it or can suggest anyone in particular. I have managed to lose my tool kit for it and also i reckon i'd probably just wreck it if i took it apart.
    I live in Brissy.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Re: Reel servicing

Firetruck, live dangerously! Have a go yourself!

I took apart my Penn 320 overhead a few weeks ago because the freespool was jamming (never been the same since it hooked onto something big and we put the brakes on to snap the line). Had bits all over the table. Luckily I have it's larger sized brother, the 330, which I also gently took apart to see where a few springs in the 320 should go. In the end I had two dismantled reels on the table with bits from both intermingled. Kept my cool and kept playing. The cavalry arrived in the form of my cousin who has a better head for mechanics and between us we got them back together - SO SIMPLE when you know how!

Anyway, they both got a service. The reel test (get it?) comes tomorrow if we hook onto something big.

Firetruck the abu 7000 is dead easy to service,
    For first time dismantles lay every thing down in order as you take it apart ,( most people stuff up the order of drag washers and spring washers.)so you'll know how it goes back together.
    If you don't feel confident in doing it and you get a chance to get closer to the gold coast .i'll service it for free. just drop it into Coomera river bait and tackle ...(near cheap auto spares old pacific hwy, stone throw from the coomera river )...
    Someone up your way might offer to kindly service it for you.

Steve Ooi

Servicing a 7000 is easy as long as you follow a few simple rules ;
    1) Always wash all parts in a cleaner that doesn't leave a residue. My personal choice is Shellite , available at any supermarket. Lighter fluid like that used in zippo's is another one.
    2) Always use a quality salt water proof grease for the gears and good approved oil for the bushes. I like the Daiwa reel grease and the Abu Garcia Silicote reel oil for a 7000
    3) LESS IS MORE !! . When it comes to lubing your reel, resist the temptation to put big gobs of grease on the gears and lots of oil on the gear shaft and bushes. Just enough to get the job done is the way to go or you can get the grease and oil spreading to places you don't want it to be , especially the drag. ABU'S HAVE DRY DRAGS so it's important to keep them clean and dry when you refit them. Oh and don't forget to give the level wind mechanism a good bath as well cos the worm gear is the most exposed part and most vulnerable to sand and dirt etc.

If your drag is still a bit sticky after servicing you can pull the drag washers out and dust them with some graphite powder, that'll smooth things out a bit .

If you get into strife while reassembling the reel got to #http://www.abugarcia.com/schematics/index.cfm #and track down the schematic which will show you exactly how it's supposed to go together.

Take your time and good luck.

Cheers
    Bushbasher #
    I fish therefore I am

Thanks for the info fellas, you've convinced me to have to ago myself.

Dallas

Firetruck
    As the guys above had said you should have no worries, just lay your parts out in order of removal. If you have a digital camera take a few photos as you disasemble. The 7000 are one of the easiest reels to service. Just follow Bushbashers directions and you shouldnt have a worry. If you can do your reels yourself they will get serviced much more regulary which means longer life and more enjoyable fishing.

Regards, Tony