Thread: what type of rod

what type of rod

i am currently in the market for a rod to use for snag fishing for jacks or what ever else decides to have a go. Has to mate up to a calcutta 100 with 20lbs bionic brade budget $150-$250 any suggestions

Re: what type of rod

Hey Al, I've got two Jack sticks that I use for flicking lures around snags. One is a custom Sabre 4kg made by Gary Howard. Cost me about $250 to get made up. The other I use is a G-Loomis GL2 722 4-7kg which retails for around $250.

I match these up to either my Daiwa Millionaire CV-X105 or a Calcutta 100. Both are great rods when matched to either of these light reels.

If you don't want to spend this much, you could always have a look at Wilson Live Fibres, Daiwa Procasters or Daiwa Heatlands. The new Shimano X-Cels or Raiders are also pretty good for their price.

Al
    Go the live fibre, quality rods that take more abuse than most!
    If your after a graphite try the Strudwick Sick Stick range(about $170)

Regards, Tony

Al,

Have you heard of bullfrog e-glass composite rods - the one I own fishes 3-8 kg - It cost me $90.00 - fast taper heaps of grunt down low. Best rod I have ever fished - these are a spin-off from the renowned crocadile rods they swear by up in NT

check em out

danm

Al,

Have a look at the rods Antman has for sale in the "for sale" section. He has 2 Gary Howard custom rods, one is a 4kg Sabre for $100. These rods have hardly been used at all. He's in Tassie at the moment but you still should be able to get him on his mobile.

Cheers, Clutter

Thanks for the advise, i did contact antman but he damaged the sabre taking out of the cupboard. I ended up buying a Loomis GL2 CR723 10-17lbs

Al, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. They're a great rod that will last you a lifetime if you look after it.

Al
    Good choice!

Regards, Tony

Whilst on the subject, what type rod is a good bottom basher from a boat?

I've seen some say 7' and wonder if the stiff 3 & 4' foot boat rods are good for 5-50M depth? Bit confused for what is good for the deeper parts of the bay?

Cheers
    John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic