Thread: Mitchell Reels

cHiCo

Mitchell Reels

Gday
    Was having a look at this reel - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....category=11728 was wondering whats everyones thoughts on these reels? Are they worth investing in? Thanks in advance

Re: Mitchell Reels

If you tell us what you want to use it for, there are some knowledgable people here that will steer you in the right direction.

Hi Chico

I have a Mitchell Predator that I bought from a local tackle shop about 1.5 years ago. I haven't used it all that much and last time I took it out the bearings had rusted up and some of the screws around reel handle and bale arm are going rusty.

I always wash it after every use, but last time I used a hose which apparently must have pushed salt water into the reel housing & stuffed the bearing. This really surprised me as I didn't hose it under pressure or anything.

SteveCan had a similar problem and wrote " had a lovely little Mitchell Copperhead 20 reel, smooth drag nice castng etc etc. But it rusted out in a couple of months (poor maintenance on my behalf I thought) So I took it back to the shop and paid $35 for a new set of bearings and after that I took much better care of the reel. Three months later it was rusted up again. It is still sitting in the shed in parts now. "

They feel nice to use but may not last too long. But they don't cost a heap, so you need the weigh it up. Hope this helps.

Chico
    That reel is a fairly good reel, but in the cheap side of the Mitchel range. You could purchase one from a tackle store for approx.- $50 give or take a little.

Regards, Tony

cHiCo

Thanks for the replys fellas, i was just wanting to use it for bream, whiting etc.