Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRAID FOR GAMEFISHING

BRAID FOR GAMEFISHING

Hi guys
    I am currently putting together some heavy outfits.
    I need help regarding the suitability of braid for yellowfin and marlin.

Does Braid suffer from line fatigue compared to mono in long fights?

I have lost some good fish to hooks falling out. Will using 15m of stretchy leader solve this?

Are titanium nitride guides from Pac Bay combined with a roller tip good enough or will I need to go full roller?

The choice of line type will dictate the size of reels I will be buying, eg 500m of 30 pound braid on the Charter Special that I have already got compared to somthing like the Tekota 800 or the TLD 30 for a similar load of mono. The classes I want to get setup for are 20, 30 and 50 pound.
    Thanks

Re: BRAID FOR GAMEFISHING

I use the bionic braid in 50lb on tld 25s with 100m of 20lb mono as a topshot, most fish we lose are lost before the topshot has gone out, it will fatigue though lasts a few years with care at least, if your sporting and hooking fish in the mouth with lures they will jump off at times regardless.

the bigger reels have far more power than small ones not to mention diameter and the level wind is a friction bogey on the charters as well, get 500m of line out and try getting line back on a charter special

tld 30s with braid and a topshot sounds great

yeah i would have a top shot of mono if you MUST have braid on the reel... it would be much cheaper to load the whole reel with mono!
    braid is very unforgiving when used for billfish.

Mate i have a tekota 800 and it is a really good reel.

They say about 500m of 30 lbs mono but mine is currently holding about 700m of 30lbs pre test, so the line capacity is fine.

Anyway just thought id let u know.

if you load the reels with 15kg as sominc has done then 5-7 hundred metres will be PLENTY... if you had over say 300m out the last thing youd be worrying about is getting spooled!! but as rob said. id go with the TLDS. TLD 20 for the 8kg, TLD 30 for the 15 and 24kg.

HI

Im putting some fire line (type of braid) on my TLD 25
    i fish of the rocks and have come close to being spooled on 30lb mono, so that my reason for going braid, to get more line on the reel?
    is there a special way of looking after the line?
    and is it a good idea to put some mono on the reel before the braid goes on?
    and what about some mono between the leader and the braid, is this advisable?

cheers

JJ

i would sugest mono backing stronger then your fireline (incase you do get down to it) for fireline will want something to bite into for matiance all you need to do is after it starts to get fuzzy just swap ends over as for leaders you could or just double the braid over but make sure you do the proper nots for barid as it has a habbit of cutting into it self to the point of cuttin it self if the wrong knot is used

Don't forget the general rule that roller tips are MUCH better suited to mono.

Cheers, Davo.

Hi Guys
    I have been looking at alternatives for braid and regular mono. Have any of youse tried Platypus Pink. The specs say its a low stretch line. My local tackle shop sells the 500m spools of Pink and Platinum. 50 pound Pink dosent have any line diameters listed but looks very close to 50 pound Platinum which is .55, compared to 30 pound schnider which I think is .55 as well, this seems very thin
    Would you say Pink would be a good compromise between braid and mono to get the capacity and relibility.
    Have any of you spooled up a Tekota 800 with it?
    What do you think of the line itself?

By the way. Do any of you have any info on Muscle braid?

Dont forget sean that if that fire line touches any rock , the line and ur fish will be gone forever.

I have used braid for shark fishing and some LBG and it sucks.

The wind means endless tangles and complications, so i switched to mono.

Hope i helped

Cheers
    Tom

i dont like pink at all!
    as long as you can get 500m + of what ever line you choose you should have no worries. if a fish gets over 500m out you will be worrying about the line popping or if the fish turns and heads back towards you you will have a whopping great belly in the line to worry about! by the time the fish strikes and the pattern is cleared you should be looking at gaining line and keeping the pressure on!

Hello,

Fire line sucks of the rocks!!! It really isn't ment to be used of the rocks I don't think! I totally agree with sominc if it touches the rocks you are gone. I think the only thing you can do is use heavier line and work the fish harder. Two speed reels are good to turn the head around and get the fish up. If you get spooled, ah well better then getting cut off. There is nothing worse then fighting the fish and bringin it up tothe surface and then another run takes you into the rocks and then the line goes slack.

FUK!!!! I just bought the fireline before i read all your coments!!!!!
    i reckon the fireline might be a bit stonger on the rocks than mono???? just because i have used mono and when it gets shaven on the rocks, it loses its strenght value?
    where as fireline has hundreds of little strings and if it get shaven on the rocks it still keeps it's strength????
    besides i only have a tld25 which only spools less than 600m of mono, and i needed more than that
    some of the braids like iron braid was $280 for 1000m which is a bit to expensive for me
    suppose i just have to use the firline now and see how it go's, and i will certainly tell you guys what it is like!!!

cheers

JJ

Saen, use a mono topshot, 100-150m that should be the major wear area of your line, the braids make good backing, just wind it on really tight.

hey mack,

ive wind it on really tightly and there's probably enough space left for 100m of mono or so
    what type of knot do you do from fireline to mono topshot?

cheers