Thread: Shimano Sahara FB2500 Spinning reels

Shimano Sahara FB2500 Spinning reels

Hello everyone,

Would someone be able to to assist -

I have an opportunity to purchase a new Shimano Sahara 2500 FB spinning reel for a really good price -

Are these reels any good compared with other brands in the normal retail price range (approx $150.00)

I need advice urgently - someone else wants to buy it to

thanks
    Dan

Re: Shimano Sahara FB2500 Spinning reels

Dan
    These reels are designed for freshwater and light to medium saltwater use. 4 ball bearing (anti-rust bearings) waterproof drag system good anti-reverse spare spool.
    Very smooth little reels. Retail is normally around $145-$160
    Now with 10 year warranty

# # # # # # # Regards, Tony

Hi Guys,

I went to my local tackle shop the other day wanting to look at this particular reel. A gentleman showed them to me but he also showed me the Daiwa Kastor 3500, which I believe was comparably cheaper. I don't know much about reels so after a bit of sales talk, I agreed on taking the Kastor on lay-by. I've just called Daiwa and they advised me that the Kastor doesn't come with anti-corrosive ball bearings. However, the Sahara's come with anti-rust bearings. Now I'm in quandary if I should get the Sahara or the Kastor. I also had a look at the Daiwa Laguna which was 39$ more than the Kastor($159). Has anyone tried any of these models and give me advice as to which one would be better? I'm looking at a universal reel, which I can use mostly anywhere. As you can see I'm a beginner and have been using a $40 Jarvis Walker combo which I bought from K-mart a 4 years ago. I think it's about time for a new rod and reel as I'm fishing almost every week now. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

i'v tryed the kastor and laguna and while they are a bit cheaper i still love my shimanos namely the stradic mine you they are dearer but haveing two 2000 stradics for the last two years and a kastor for the past 6 mounths i find the shimanos are still running smoother than the kastor 1500 but both very good reels that shouldn't give you too much problems

Thanks for the advice mate.

Stick with the Sahara, last years 2003 model the 4000 which I believe,,is basically the same as the 2004 model, 2500 you talk about now was available from BIG W of all places for under $100 I bought my second for $85 because it was the last on display and the poor girl didn't know what she was selling me. I use them Spooled with 20 pound braid in Moreton bay on the Spottie macks with 7 foot rods. They seem to get at least an extra 10-15 metres in the cast then the Epix 60 and TSS4 and TSS3 I also use. Theyre gearing and frame are rugged enough to cope with the spotties I managed around the 75cm mark this year.