Thread: Downrigger Pancake Bomb

Downrigger Pancake Bomb

Hi All,
    Finally got hold of the round jaffel iron that i am going to use as a mould for a pancake bomb.
    The completed bomb weighs a bit over 2.5 kg.
    The advantage of the pancake bomb instead of the normal #round bombs is they have far less drag and you can use lighter weights.
    I used a bit of plate alloy for a fin and a 120lb snap swivel for attaching to downrigger cable.
    first photo is the jaffel iron and lead out of the mould
    2nd photo is the finnished product. now for some sea trials
    cheers
    dazza

Re: Downrigger Pancake Bomb

completed bomb

dazza

no sure ???
    yours OR mine
    "whats the time"

snappa,
    hope your not thinkin' of corrupting my bomb with those sexy things you are producing .
    it is a virgin at the moment.
    how did the fence post bomb go? have you tried it yet.
    cheers
    dazza

Hi Dazza, Scott and off course Snappa
    Finally got around to making a Pancake Bomb, weighs 4kg and made of moulded lead, with a fibreglass coating to smooth off, split pins for hookup point.
    Tried it once around mud island, just a practrise troll and i had it up to 10kts and it had some drawback, but still good enough to troll with. It was connect with 12o lb wire.
    now all have to do is get out in the blue yonder and give it a real try out.
    regards

front on shot

how would a bullet shaped bomb go?

Big_Kev

Webby how did you mould the lead to shpe?
    Cheers Kev.

Was wondering about the bullet shape as the council was installing some mesuring devices in the causeway up here that looked like small torpedos about 200mm long fair current ripping through there ???I can get train wheels for a big pancake

Big Kev, with a big hammer and angle grinder mate, have the scars on my legs to prove it
    Couldnt get it smooth enough so gave it a coat of gelcoat, then out with the grinder again.
    lot of bloody work for a big sinker.
    regards

hi webby
    looks good.
    you said a bit of a drawback at 10knots
    what happend? too much speed/drag, or did it sqew off to the side.
    still haven't swum mine yet, but will hopefully get out soon
    cant wait to get out over a few snapper spots and have a troll
    cheers
    dazza

gday all

dazza,i reccon we should take to the inside of that jaffle iron with a die grinder and smooth out the ridges.
    this would make the bomb smoother{less drag} and make em slightly heavier which would be perfect for the sports troll.
    also it will stop the cheese samigas gettin stuck next campin trip
    i crack myself up

good idea, might have to have a look. dunno how thin that would make the mould, i will check it out.
    haven't had a chance to give it a swim. maybe tomorrow, might take the family out for a quick fish.
    i'm thinking that bait ground for a snapper or two
    depending on weather
    cheers
    dazza

Hey Webby.
    That tin-can-mold model you demonstrated bottom fishing techniques with at the show. Do you get problems with it spinning around as you lower it down to the bottom and causing your line to tangle up around the bomb line?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

GES

Hi GES. No mate, because the bomb is connected with a 100lb snap swivel, yes it does turn but the big swivel, stops any line twists.
    Plus i usually conncet to the second hook up point which also has a 88lb snap swivel. plus the cannon release clip also has a snap swivel. wheere it attaches to the wire.
    hope that helped
    regards