Thread: Tackle Queries

Tackle Queries

Hi, We plan to wander. taking caravan with 3.6m V Stessl on top of Cherokee with new Yamaha !5, also collapsible trailer. Tackle??? We have lots, but no idea what to take. The lot is not an option she says . Going Adel-Alice- Darwin-Broome-Perth and wherever in between inc some of Nth Qld. Never been there. ??? What do we take? Have fly rods from #2 to #9, with a good collection of line types, 12lb and 20lb light game rods, (I use an 8500 on the 12lb and an old Mitchell line class on the 20lb). 10' beach rods for o/head reels, collection of rods to suit threadlines, trolling/spinning rods for baitcasters (plus others) Reels;Half a doz different ABU cardinals, a couple of ABU 8500's, some ABU 6500's, wooden Alvey side cast and various others. Where do we start with the lure selection bit?Any info/advice appreciated. Anyone that wants to meet an old fisho and show him a few local tricks would be gratefully recieved too.

Re: Tackle Queries

Hey mate I live in North Queensland in Cairns, it depends on what your looking at doing really.... I do most my lureing using manns lures,leeds lures,yo-zuri's,rapalas(not often) usually out the reef,reedy's,flatz ratz,tilsans,gold bombers. Most of them are bright colours. Hope that helps you out a bit (there the lures that i use myself,and many other of my mates).
    Tight Lines
    Liam

personly from how my father is taveling around australia
    i wouldn't take much tackle with you at all just the basics at the moment as when you get to all the diffrent stops the people there will more than likely fish for the fish in difrent ways so you will find yourself going to a few tackle shops to see how and what to fish for or with
    that goes with the lures
    the same lures that work down south will not work in the north and even the diffrent lure in the NT and FNQld

Sir Noelus
    Thats a hard call mate! Sounds like you are visiting enough places to run into just about every type of fish and fishing known to man!
    I would take as a minimum-A light spin outfit(2-4kg) A 6-8kg baitcaster rig. A medium-heavy fly outfit and a rock and beach outfit. That should see you thru most situations! As basserman says lures and terminal tackle will vary from place to place and local advise is the best way to go in that department. If you need more gear you will just have to leave the missus at home!

Regards, Tony

Sir Neolus,
    Tony has given very good advice.
    depends on what you are doing. After living on the cape for a couple of years the main outfits i used were

6500 Abu with 50lb briad on loomis GL2 445, approx 6kg. this outfit handled everything up the creeks.

shimano 6500 baitrunner on 8kg albagraph rod- casting poppers, lures etc out of boat in open water or off of jetties, beach etc.

tld 20 with 50lb braid- for trolling for mackeral etc around headlands and close reefs

8wt and 12wt fly outfit

100lb handline- when all else fails

castnet (check each state laws and regs)

tackle back ( getting snagged lures back)
    lures i mainly used were tilsan barra, nilsmaster spearheads, rmg scorpions, pretty well anything drgged or thrown into the
    right spot will get smashed.
    hope this helps, have a great trip
    cheers
    dazza

Sir,I agree with Basserman take only the basics and then look at what is being used when you get there.Having done similar trips to this and going again middle of next week I,ll only be taking two spin rods ,light and heavy and a light and heavy baitcaster,then get the terminal tackle after you get there.Have a good trip.

Weeeeelll, What can one say? ''Leave her at home???" Hadn't even thought of that. I said I'd never been to these places; Ive actually been to Cairns twice. Fished the reef once (that wasn't fishing to me) and spent one day catching Mackerel. Have also been to the Cape, never fished at all, but saw some awesome water. For sure basics it will have to be as we will be away for a year or whatever, and small things like space to carry it surface, but with no experience, it's hard to know what the true basics are. All info appreciated. Noel.