Thread: Shortening the rod butt

Captian_Zero

Shortening the rod butt

G'day

I was given some time ago a department store bought 10' surf rod combo, which I can't get comfortable using.

The problem is that the reel is too far away from the butt of the rod for me to use it comfortably (short arms).

How would I go about shortening the rod butt (or lengthening my arms )

Thanks

Chris

Re: Shortening the rod butt

Had the same problem, just cut a couple of inches off the butt, and re -glued the end back on, works like a bought one.

just make sure you cut the fome out to fit the but cap back on
    and mesure twice cut once!

become a paverlayer- that outta stretch your arms

good old hacksaw will do the job to get through the rear grip and the rod blank. then use a knife to get through the grip to leave some of the blank free for a butt cap

Back in the 50's & 60's the top Aust surf fishermen cut the buts off their rods. it made it more comfortable with winding in large catches & large fish. with the sidecast reel you will find it more comfortable to wind with your elbows by your side. try it . you will never go back to the long butt. spindles

Check the length of the rod butt here. it might be a bit short for you. but try cutting a little at a time.

Captian_Zero

Thanks guys

I'll give it a go. I am not the best handyman going around (just ask my wife) but hopefully I won't balls it up.

Cheers

Chris

g'day mate,

does the existing rod have a sand spike or a butt cap....?

i've done this a few times in the past, pm me if u need more info

Captian_Zero

I gave it a go. I took about 12cm off the butt and it definitely feels a lot more comfortable. The hardest part was getting the butt cap off as it was glued on. I just need to sand back the cut before I glue the rod butt back into place.

Cheers

Chris