Thread: ABU9000's

ABU9000's

[smiley=help.gif] Okay have an ABU 9000 which is one of my all time favourites and lately it has been givin me a prob i cant seem to put my finger on??. All of a sudden after i cast it stays in freespool..Freespool button pops back up okay but gears wont engage???.
    Get back home , pull it to pieces, clean ,check everything out??? all looks okay, get back out fishing and halfeway through the trip it does it again???..
    So far have been lucky and havent had a fish on the end of the line when it has decided to play up..
    Anyone had this problemo with their 9000 or other two speed reels??...
    Must be something simple causing it and just cant seem ta put me finger on the problem??..
    Cheers

Re: ABU9000's

gday volvo, i dont know anything about the 9000s but with the abu baitcasters that sort of thing happens, have a look at the parts that do the engaging there is some friction on them during that process and the metal might be worn away.

??? ???

Thanks for that mate but nup that aint the problem..All the gears n cogs are quite good..For some reason or other something must hang up or something or other somewhere???..
    Cheers

NeilD

G'day Volvo.

I have an old 10,000 CA that used to do the same thing. I even got into the habit of giving it a thump with my left hand to make sure it went into gear. No matter how many strip downs and clean outs it would still do it. I did not use the reel for a couple of years so I serviced it and the reel has not played up at all since. Maybe it just needed a rest. I used to use silicon grease on a lot off my reels and now use light oil and this may have been my problem. It would only play up on the water so was difficult to pinpoint.
    Cheers Neil

i have abu 7000 it did same couple times.
    found it to be grease on return springs was getting sticky ( 2 that re-engage the drive) just oil them now no probs.

Cherrs Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Thanks fella's, am persavering with the problem..Will eventually put my finger on the problem i'm sure..Just a pain in the u-know-what for the meantime..
    Am suspecting i might have bent the freespool plate/thingy that the smaller cog sits in and occasionally the engaging cog wont drop down to make contact with the appropriate gears???..
    Sus it out next time it does the same..Hopefully tomorrow will be a good opportunity .
    Cheers

I had a similar problem with my 7000. What happened was that when I put it together, the freespool plate (actually 2 x coppery coloured, thin plates laying parallel over the top of each other with a spacer in between on one side, lays directly below main gear infront of sprung plate that is in direct contact with the button)...
    Ok that bit had swung upward too far and got compressed under the outer rim when it was all screwed back together.
    After much fiddling, and finally identifying the problem, the plates were seperated and flattened into their original position and wullah no problem anymore.
    I find that the schematics that abu provide are really good for identifying the order that parts go back together but they don't help at all with their final resting position.
    Anyway, hope yours is fixed by now.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Hi Volvo,

I have an ABU 9 and have come accross this before.
    Put it down to too much greese.
    Light machine oil from then on and no more problems.
    Only problem is without the grease it pays to service the reel regularly and for me thats about every 12 months.

Cheers,
    Rich.