PDA

View Full Version : care for reel

philip_thomson
01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
i am just wondering what everyone does to clean there fishing gear when they go out fishing. i normally wash it down with some hot soppy water and then rinse it with some fresh water. then spray some wd-40 on it then in storage. is there anything wrong with this can i make it better at all?

cheers philip

jeffo
01-08-2004, 02:04 PM
just make sure the drag is well and truely locked up when your washing it phill. i wouldnt be to keen on getting the WD40 on the line either :-/

banshee
01-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Warm soapy water,rinse of with fresh,no more pressure than a slow running tap,and no WD 40,the stuff is kero under pressure and will get in and dissolve/break down the lubricants in your reel.

agnes_jack
02-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Philip
Always store your reels with the drags fully backed off. This will avoid damage to your drag washers, and lubricate handles, line rollers etc.

Tony

philip_thomson
02-08-2004, 05:20 AM
thanks for the help guys will safe me plenty of money in the long run with salt damaged reels

cheers philip

Derek Bullock
02-08-2004, 05:22 AM
You can buy a product called CRC Tackle Guard at most tackle shops. Its a spray that has been specially formulated for fishing reels and claims to not damage monofilament, EVA grips and seals.

Its not cheap and I paid $8.99 for mine at ####### and thats only a 130 ml size. Then again if you only use it for your reels it will last a long time.

Cheers

Derek

Cheech
02-08-2004, 06:20 AM
I hose mine down with fresh water and then just give a small spray of INOX to the line roller, the bail hinge points, and the exposed part of teh pin in the handle. I try to not get any on the line.

I think some guys say you shouldn't use inox, but I do not really know why. If anyone knows then please let me know. I use it on everything.

agnes_jack
02-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Cheech
Inox has now got a lanolin based spray called "lanox". I find that a better option as it doesnt have that petro-chemical smell which I am sure puts fish off. Another option is Lanoguard.

Regards, Tony

Squizy
02-08-2004, 07:49 AM
One tip fellas. If you are using WD40 or any other type of water displacement spray; spray it onto a cloth and wipe it over. If you spray it directly onto your reel the spray may penetrate through to the inside (even with the drag locked), and will brake down the reel grease within the reel and bearings.