PDA

View Full Version : If you had to buy one Esky ?????

bugman
18-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Gang,

It seems my upcoming wedding is going to produce a new big esky for the boat.

It also seems money is no option ;D I'm looking for a big esky to use as a fishbox and also for long camping trips etc. At the same time I don't want something unbeliavably large that gets in the way in the boat or that two blokes can't carry.

I'm also interested in the fibreglass verses plastic debate.

I like the look of this one; Evacool B125 (125litres 1100 long 450 wide 490 high). Any thoughts.

Bugman

CQ_Fisher
18-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Bugman,

In my opinion you cant go past the quality fibreglass eskies (eg. evacool, baileys, etc) There will be alot of talk about the durability of the plastic ones but for stinking hot QLD summer days the fibreglass jobs will win hands down.

Cheers
JD

agnes_jack
18-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Bugman
Sounds like you have already made a very good choice. Ive always found the Evercool fibreglass boxes to be one of the very best. Fibreglass holds the ice a fair bit longer than the plastics, The size you have chosen is a good one also, it will hold heaps of fish as well as being long enough for the mackies.

Regards, Tony.

P.S. Most marriages tend to produce children-Esky ??? ??? ??? :-/ :-X ;D ;D

Mortalkombat
18-08-2004, 09:49 AM
I have one of the evercools which hold a good size wahoo they hold ice for a long time ;D days in fact :D glass is the way to go if you can affort it.

Sportfish_5
18-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Good bargains maybe had at the Boatshow if evakool have a stand there. If you can cope with scratches and maybe a chip in the gelcoat one of their seconds will save big $$$$ if you go direct.

Cheers

Greg

blue_rogue
18-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Bugman,

I have a 130 IceKool esky. It is the ducks nuts. It will take 7 cartons and ice, and last for days in the summer. Yes it isn't going to hold ice for 10 days, but it will for 5-6 days. Are you ever going to need ice for more then then....

They are in the neatest poly esky on the market and has more room then any other poly eskies out there. Mine is a meter long and 35omm and sits in a centre console on worries. Loves being full of fish.

Best aspects are that the lid comes off and on, with clip on hinges. So it can be used as a ice bin for parties. It has fallen of utes, out of the boat and still doesn't have a mark on it. great esky and you cant go wrong. A esy that is constantly getting a thrashing from moving in and out of places, then poly is the only way. You will end up killing a fibreglass esky in 12 months if it isn' look after.

Go and have a look at the IceKool's. They are the best on the market.

All the best

P.S - Here is the esky below, It is good to fillet, or an extra set in the boat. Hope this is helpful..

MTpockets
18-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Brett,
I bought an EvaKool 60 lt fridge/freezer and i recomend them highly. I would say the one you chose is what I would have chosen if put in your place.
Damn good choice mate :)

Les

cheno
18-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I've got both an evaKool fibreglass (really old one with metal hinges) and one of their iceKool plastics.

They are both great but if you are going to get only one and the price is not an issue then glass would win any day. Even after around ten years my glass evaKool is as easy to keep clean and free of smell as the day i bought it. Plastic eskys over time tend to scratch up on the inside which makes them much harder to keep clean. Make sure you are happy with the dimensions of whatever you get.

cheno

CHRIS_aka_GWH
18-08-2004, 01:43 PM
I won an evaKool at the Straddie 2 yrs back Brett & they are amazing at holding the cold. I will put a bag of ice in leaving home for a fish - if I catch nothing (don't say it ....) when i get home the bag of ice is intact all bar about a cup or so of water.

My brother has a Tropical plastic one - it's good & tough but does'nt hold the cold as well - seems to absorb more cold at the start before beginning to hold temp - the difference in the chemistry of plastic v fibreglass.

I wish I had one with length though for mackeral & jew so go for one that will at least hold a good bay spottie.

Some neat tricks to know worth consider -

put some hook side on velcro stick on strips on the bottom & it'll grab the marine carpet & not slide around

stick a piece of sheet aluminum on the top to protect it against dropping sinkers, reels & to give a cutting surface - helps bounce the sun too.

bottom line evaKool

ps congrats, when's the lucky day ....

oh yeah & when do ya get married # ;) ;D

bugman
18-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Chris LMAO

Big day is September then I'm off to 1770 to see Tony for a few days on the way out to Lady Musgrave. Need the esky for the macks ;)

Thanks for all the isight so far - when you look at plastic and fibreglass side by side there really is no quality comparison - the Evacool just looks the goods. I was interested in the plastic cause I have been know to break a few things ;D

I think the boatshow will be the place but I'll shop around before hand. You never know even Steve Ausfish may sell me one at the right price ;D

Brett

caveman
18-08-2004, 04:01 PM
brett i bought a icekool 85l last boatshow , i have used a couple of times and the longest it lasted was 8days with ice, the thing i like most is that it is as light as when it comes to lifting it in and out of the boat

DR
19-08-2004, 05:10 AM
I have a DOWNUNDER it's as good as all the others.
A bag of ice on a hot day, only a cup or so of water in the bottom, depends on how often it is opened.

I bought mine at Downunder camping at Coopers Plains they carried factoy seconds at pretty good prices too. just the usual scratch or blemish in the glass. worth a look;)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-08-2004, 12:21 PM
how did ya get that "money is no option" clause anyway ? #???

some long distance photos, an errant harddrive - a wire tap maybe ...

Big_Kev
19-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Brett you won't get an esky big enough once that boats starts doing its job.
But I will vote for the glass. I knock mine around a fair bit and it still looks great.
Makes a good seat in the boat too.
Cheers Kev. And all the best for the big day.

Brooksy
22-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Brett i'd agree wholeheartedly with your choice of the Evakool. I have two an 85 and a 140 and they are great.
As greg had stated you can buy the seconds from the factory at Caloundra for the right price. I got my 140 as a second from the factory , which was good as I got them to supply the esky without the lid fitted so I could make a few modifications.
Good luck with the wedding.

Steve

Wild_Side
23-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Brett I've had both glass and plastic and for me its plastic all the way. My evakool got knocked around too much when in the back of the ute while traveling dirt roads. I've now got a 95lt icey tek and its by far a better esky and," It's long enough to get good size fish in!" Every year in september a few of my mates and I do a trip down the Burdickin river in conoe's and the icey tek's rule, they still have ice after 8 or so days on the water,( thats after a couple of hot cartons have gone through them ;D ;D ;D) and they pack in easly. The only draw back with them is the handles are not that great for moving them a long way when full.

Cheers
Wild Side

bugman
24-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks very much for all the replys. I've looked at a few in the last week or so and I can see the benefits of both plastic and fibreglass.

I think in the end it will be fibreglass just because of the quality - and the fact that I'm not paying for it ;D.

Just wondering on the size. The B125 is 1100 long which should take all the fish I catch except for the odd big cobe etc but then again I probably shouldn't budget on those what do you reckon.

Chris - shsss don't tell anyone but it's good to have friends in high places ;D

Brett

mako_5.2
26-08-2004, 11:20 AM
There is a guy at the Caboolture markets on Sundays selling them,not sure how the prices compare. Tara Industries at Narangba sell them too

bidkev
27-08-2004, 12:22 PM
I have a 126 litre Tropical which (on my test) will hold 5x2 litre bottles of frozen water for 6 days. I've found that the longer the ice is kept in the freezer, prior to putting in the esky, the longer it will last. My mate told me that this was general knowledge to Aussies, but being a pomm I had no need for ice prior to coming here and was ignorant of this fact.

I've seen lots of Eva Cools with patches on 'em so.......'nuff said......I opted for the pretty flouro orange Tropical which takes all the knocks my mob can throw at it and doubles nicely as a bench seat and potential life raft :-)

I'm told the silly buggers at Tropical have now put a fixed partition in this model which rather defeats the object if you're trying to buy something to hold the biggies.

$250 bucks for 126 litres..........takes some beating though.

cheers

kev