PDA

View Full Version : firelineline

C@RLO5
19-08-2004, 06:28 AM
went out the other day and for the first time bought some fireline, ive never used it before and just put it on my spool yesterday, now when using it do u use swivels and a leader of mono, i bought it for use on softplastics and lures on my small spin stick, also do u guys attach ur lures with a loop or a knot like u would use on a hook? all advice appreciated, oh yeh and thanks basserman for ur advice, i got the squidgies too, now i just gotta find some time to fishing.... [smiley=wiseguy.gif]

scatter1
19-08-2004, 06:34 AM
i attatch my leader to the fireline with an albright knot and to the jighead with a uni knot tightened short of the jig's eye to form the loop. on larger fish you might want to consider a double in the end of your fireline before an albright to the leader. i'd say the most popular double is a bimini twist.

beefaman
19-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Loop knot to connect my lures to to my leader.....and I still use a double uni to tie leader to fireline...but it works ::)

ba229
19-08-2004, 09:03 AM
improved albright for the main to leader and a blood knot onto the jighead

Tony_N
19-08-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm still convinced that a double uni knot is very weak and breaks easily. I seem to remember tha colin wilson also says this. I don't seem to tie the bloodknot well ( I have had a few slip and lost fish) I like to use a 50 turn bimini double on the fireline and an improved albright for attaching the leader. The other knot i seem to use mostly is the uni knot for attaching terminal gear. It does not slip.

basserman
19-08-2004, 11:52 AM
i keep it pretty simple and all i use is a simple double uni knot to join braid to leader and i acually use a fly clip ti attach my jigs/lure much easyer then tieing a new loop knot every time i change a lure or jig type/size :)

moondancer
19-08-2004, 05:09 PM
I use a single uni knot to the fireline. Don't slip it all the way to the sp. Never used a double uni knot, but been using the single since I learned how to tie knots, and never had it slip/ break.

gunna
21-08-2004, 10:41 AM
To connect Fireline direct to terminal tackle (hook or swivel) use the palomar knot.

For Fireline to leader use the stren knot. This knot is becoming very popular as its dead easy to tie & has great strength. Just be careful pulling the knot together. Can't recommend it enough.

For mono to lure use lefty's loop knot.

fishy_phil
21-08-2004, 03:04 PM
gday people
bloodknot mono to fireline with 2 half-hitches on the mono with the fire line never had it slip or break at the knot. use it with 4-20lb fireline.
cheers
phil

Cheech
21-08-2004, 04:27 PM
This question comes up often.

I am a long long way from being an expert, but as the manufactures of Fireline actually stipulate uni knots when connecting to mono, and palomar when connecting straight to tackle such as swivels, why would you doubt them. They surely have done an awful lot of hours testing.

I use uni knots and whenever I get snagged and have to lock everything up to try to pull it free, I almost always get back my leader and have the break at the hook (also a uni knot). Perhaps a line to line uni is stronger than a terminal end uni.

agnes_jack
22-08-2004, 06:30 AM
I've been using a double uni knot line joiner for years, never had one fail on me yet.
Loop knot to softie.

Regards, Tony

Tony_N
23-08-2004, 03:48 AM
Yes I remembered after I made my post on this that the uni to uni phobia I have came from a few years ago when I was using Whiplash braid. Fireline of course is not a braid (couldn't find a smiley that looked embarrassed enough!)but I'm still very wary of the knot. Maybe it was my tying - but double unis were always the weak point and a very weak point at that, especially with light flurocarbon leaders which were often cut off even when tightening the knot. (the braid seemed to cut the leader) Again, the knot guru Colin (?) Wilson from memory also said this -but I think he was talking braid as well. From memory again, I think he preferred uni-bloodknot for strength. Uni to improved albright works for me.

hiflyer
24-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Hows this:

While fighting a nice mulloway on a rig consisting of 6lb flreline attatched to 30lb mono using a double uni knot I busted the fish off (accidentally, of course - and my fault for applying too much pressure). When I reeled in the line I was shocked that the 30lb leader was snapped in the middle. It had not rubbed on anything as far as I know, so abrasion was not the cause. This says a lot to me both about the strength of fireline, and the double uni knot.

I have had problems with this knot only when attatching 4lb Vanish to 4lb fireline. Have not tried 4lb Platypus pre test, but 6lb pre test double uni knotted to 4lb fireline has never broken at the connection. I use a loop made by tightening a uni knot short of the eye of the hook when fishing SP's.

Interestingly, Steve Starling said that he still uses double uni knot for connecting fireline to leader too. I also use this connection when using braided lines with similar results. I think you need to play around with different lines and leader materials/breaking strains and see what works best for you.

Cheers :)

Adam

Leo_N.
28-08-2004, 07:57 AM
The double uni is by far the best knot that I have come across for tying medium to heavy leaders (20-60lb) to the main line (bimini double). I think that the problem that people have with this knot is not tightening it properly. Both knots have to be tightened quite well before pulling them together to avoid them overlapping, especially with light lines. You also have to avoid friction on each line when you tighten the knots - lubricate well.

Tying these knots (bimini, double uni and Lefty's loop) well has helped me straighten quality hooks when lures were snagged up on sunken timber - can't beat that.

PG
29-08-2004, 11:39 AM
MY two cents worth says tighten the double uni knot onto the opposing line before pulling the knots together and always spit on it to lube it well before you do. I think the secret here is to have the knots closed before you draw them together and let them slide together by wetting them rather than dragging them together sticking because they are dry.
Also perhaps the quality of the leader has something to do with the line breaking? I use sneider leader about 35lb on 12 lb fireline and they join well using the above technique. It also lets me wind the knot through the runners on retrieval without much noise or drag when it comes back out on the cast.

littlejim
29-08-2004, 02:57 PM
I like recommending the Centauri.
I'd say the line manufacturers haven't heard of it that's why they don't recommend it.
It is easier to tie than any other knot, can be done with your eyes shut, good for older failing eyes, it's in the recently available knot books at newsagents.
When you have to bust off it doesn't bust at the hook, the line busts, because the knot isn't the weakest point as with most other knots.
Can be used to join lines (2 off) the tags lie flat and don't stick up to catch the line during casts.