PDA

View Full Version : FIRELINE - WHY DOES IT BREAK EASILY?!!!

cuzzamundi
09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
g'day all,

i bought some 10 pound fireline and have fished twice with it. i am worried cos both times i was snagged, i pulled rather softly and it snapped straight away. i thought it was more durable?! any insights? does it not handle abrasion well? also, will this be adequate for jacks if i whack a 30 pound trace of around 50cm on? thanks heaps for your advice, i've laernt so much from you guys just reading the postings! all the best.

cuzza

NeilD
10-09-2004, 01:01 AM
None of the braids are good around rough surfaces. I have found that Fireline will break well over stated breaking strain if your knots are good. Just use a long leader.
Neil

Tony_N
10-09-2004, 01:10 AM
g'day cuzza

It doesn't handle abrasion as well as mono, but is much better than the braids I have used (which when I think about it is only one - Berkley Whiplash)
Are you sure that it is along the line where it is breaking? Might be worthwhile testing your knots on a set of scales off the water and check Geoff Wilsons book on knots for the best knots to use. People on this forum seem to prefer the double uni for joining to leader ( I like the bimini double to Improved Albright) Probably the uni knot is the preferred knot for terminal tackle.

BTW if it isn't your knots you might like to try a longer leader when fishing for jacks - maybe even a couple of metres

FWIW

Tony

littlejim
10-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Cuzz,

when I was being intro'ed to rock fishing, I thought the thin line was best, more on reel, less wind resistance, less drag in water. My guru pointed out that the thicker line (for same breaking strain) would last longer than the thin with scratches and scrapes in it. With the braid there isn't much of it to scrape through.
However your experience is interesting; I wasn't game to put it on for the rocks in case I couln't bust it off if I got snagged. The nylon was hard enough to break off, thought braid might slice off my hand or any body bit I had to involve in the busting off. I think the cost of the stuff would also put me off using it in the snag prone situation.
In the boat it has been great, except for the green toad/leatherjacket invasion where I go.

As the others say check your knots too. The knot letting go will sometimes feel like bust off. I like the Centauri knot for just straight on to the hook/swivel stuff. it works fine with braid and busts at line strength.

clutter
10-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Nothing wrong with the fireline. I caught my biggest Jack when fishing plastics for Bream. It went 46cm and caught it on 4lb fireline with 8lb vanish leader using a 2" squirmin grub. I use it up to about 14lb and then use Bionic or Superbraid above that.

Cheers, Clutter

cuzzamundi
11-09-2004, 09:35 PM
thanks heaps blokes. i thought it was a little less resistant to abrasion. will take heed of the advice. cheers.

cuzza