PDA

View Full Version : How Do i Shorten The butt On My Rod?

the_hommi_g_is
11-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I just bought an Ugly Stik <GPG2030> and im finding that the butt is a little too long ... I want to cut it a little shorter, but does the gimble just putt off or is it part of the rod?

Is it something i can do on my own or should i take it into a tackle store? if so do u guys reccomend anyone special and wats the rough $ they will charge ...

Ta :)

Hamza ...

agnes_jack
12-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Hommie
Its a fairly simple operation. Sometimes the gimbal can be salvaged, but if not they are not too expensive. Just a matter of cutting to desired length with a hacksaw, then baring it back to the blank to suit the gimbal, use 24hr araldite. If the gimbal requires it, use some thin strips of masking tape wrapped around blank as packers to suit the size of gimbal. Clear as mud ????

If that seems confusing, take it to your local tackle store ;) ;)

Regards, Tony

HamzaLH
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah ... i was just making sure it was just like a normal butt ... i have done many others, but im just hoping i can take this one off without breaking it ... its a good lookin one :P and the cap fits on really nicely ...

I'll see wat happens ...

Ta ...

Dug
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Does my butt look big in this? [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

Mugil
14-09-2004, 08:14 AM
If you heat the gimbal in boiling water for a minute or so then grab it with a rag and try to twist it off you may salvage the gimbal.
The heat weakens the glue… same procedure for reel seats and guides.
Worth a try but be careful not to apply too much heat as you may damage the blank beneath. A naked flame works even better on metal gimbals and fittings but more subtlety is required.
With any luck you can reuse the original gimbal in the new position.
Cheers

BigE
16-09-2004, 07:02 AM
;D ;D ;Dcan't resist ;D ;D ;D place rod in gimbal belt and oz style aerobics [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]