PDA

View Full Version : Is Joining Lines Safe?

HamzaLH
15-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I just bought a TLD25 and im looking at spooling her up with some 30Lb line ... i have 2 spools of Berkley line but they are only 250yrds ... is it ok to add these together or should i try and get a full 500-600 yrds on there ...

If i join the 2 together, can i add something onto the knot so its smooth ... maybe some candle wax onto the knot or something ... Probly a stupid idea ...

Any help is appretiated ...

Ta ...

Hamza ...

DeeGee
15-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Hamza, If you are using 30 lb line you should be quite safe with a join in the middle IF you tie a GOOD knot. I would suggest a blood knot with at least 5 or 6 turns on each side, or a double hangmans noose, again with at least 5 or 6 turns on each side. If these knots are tied properly in 30 lb, it should be very difficult to break through a rod, with a well set drag, and should feed thru the rod runnners without any need to add wax or anything like that.
You would have to be hooked up to something pretty big and fast before you saw the knot coming off the spool anyway.

Cheers DeeGee

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-09-2004, 01:32 PM
assuming its nylon - just use a line joining knot I use an albright or polmar i think. Once 250yards of nylon is out & stretching with the drag set at a third that knot is safe as houses - i have never lost a fish due to a line joining knot. But if you are not happy with it ie its not neat (make sure you use spit to lube it when tightening) cut & retie it

chris

Fishinmishin
15-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Try this. You should rarely get spooled down to your knot and with the tags cut close and the knot tightened down well you shouldnt have any problems. If you got lotsa extra $, 1 line is the safest but your better donating it to a worthy cause. I'll send you my account details if you need. ;D

Fishinmishin
15-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Sorry, didn't relise soooooo big. Messed up everyone screens.

basserman
15-09-2004, 03:59 PM
jioning the knot is fine and a GOOD double uin knot should do the trick and to double make sure it goes through the guides well i would use a dab of super glue! believe it or not that is what alot of the big boys do to there knots to make them nice and smooth and also add alittle bit more strength to the knot

HamzaLH
15-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Is there anything with using 2 uni knots?

This is the normal knot i use for swivels and hooks and its never let me down ... or would a blood knot like this one http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_bloodk.htm be better?

Ta :)

mackmauler
15-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Uni knot is the best id say, and well proven.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-09-2004, 02:54 PM
thats a good link hamza
& I've got no idea ... :-/
::)
i use the bloodknot with light lines
& the uni with heavy 18lb+
I use the albright for main to leaders

agnes_jack
17-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Go the uni-knot joiner.
Never lets me down!