PDA

View Full Version : Will these Sp's catch fish?

Shazbanger
17-09-2004, 03:18 PM
I went out after school and borght some squishies. I was just asking u guys wich one of the following will be the best for the maroochy river? Im targeting some flatties, travally and possibly some tailor ;D

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/3235/dadsday009.jpg

cHiCo
17-09-2004, 03:23 PM
look like squidgy fish, one of em is goldeneye. Make sure you dont overkill the jighead weight and make sure that you get the hooks coming straight out the bottom not the side like you have in both of those.

Shazbanger
17-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Mate can ya explain what iv'e done wrong? ???

cHiCo
17-09-2004, 04:00 PM
The hooks arent coming out the spine of the plastic, when you put it in water you will notice that the hook will lean the side on a bad angle. Just re-hook the plastic so that it comes out of the spine.

Bad_Bubby
17-09-2004, 04:29 PM
80mm might be a tad too big for most of the bread and butter species in maroochy, they are also hooked upside down whih cant help :-X. I used some berkely drop shot minnows down there when i fished with zeeke and they seemed to do allright. Once you get the squidgies rigged properly use a slow retrieve, nearly as slow as you can go. Good luck with it :)

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 04:33 PM
G'day Shaz.. apparently i know a bit about soft plastics.. or so im told.. (maybe i dont know anything, just own heaps of the bloody things!)

im waiting for a new motor to be put on my boat, but hopefully last week of the holidays, if your free one day, i might be able to take you out for a spin around Maroochy River and show you some fishing spots and give ya some help on those plastic thingys ;) let me know if your interested and ill see if i can organise something..

Tim

clutter
17-09-2004, 07:08 PM
I'd be more inclined to use the 65mm ones make sure you rig them right as was said above.

clutter

agnes_jack
18-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Shaz
The jig heads are actually designed for the hook to come out of the TOP of the lure.
The towpoint will then be on the top also, this allows them to sit the right way up.
As the others have said, make sure that it comes out dead centre or it may not swim correctly. Another tip, be sure you dont bring the hook out too far back or it tends to "bunch up" The straighter they are the better the swim action. Both of those colors will catch flatties and a number of other species.

# # # Regards, Tony ;)

P.S. The hook coming out of the top also helps to reduce snagging when working them along the bottom. Take zeeke up on his offer, he will set you straight! ;)

hiflyer
18-09-2004, 07:45 AM
I am sure that someome in a fishing tackle shop could show you how to rig them properly.

Adam

Chrisso
18-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Just follow these guys, and their pointers. You should be right. You must have the plastics rigged properly though, or you will end up being very disappointed, putting in many hours for nothing.

macca
20-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Just had two weeks up the coast on holidays.

Fished more with Sp this time than bait.

It was slow at times but did manage 8 flathead up to 66 cm.

I was using the squidgee 65mm fish in silverfox colour on a nitro 3/8 head.

Picture is of one of the smaller one's I caught

macca
20-09-2004, 05:17 PM
And this is the 65mm silverfox rigged ready to go.

Macca

Zeeke
20-09-2004, 09:02 PM
G'day Shaz, it looks like ill be setup with a new motor on friday, might take it for a spin on saturday.. dunno yet.. but maybe wednesday i can organise a fish with ya

Tim

Shazbanger
21-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Sweet cant wait! ;D

Leo_N.
22-09-2004, 11:07 AM
I would be interested if others agree with me on this one, but my current opinion on soft plastic choice is to get thin plastics. The reason is that the thicker the plastic the less action that you get. The squidgies that have been posted have a thin section just in front of the tail which will allow the tail to move, but very little body action. Thin "worm" shaped plastics look less like a fish to the fisherman, but swim more like a fish in the water.