PDA

View Full Version : Are swivels nessecary for sp's?

Shazbanger
22-09-2004, 12:02 PM
When fishing with soft plastics is it nessecary to use a clip swivel or am i fine just attaching them straight to the line?

Zeeke
22-09-2004, 12:24 PM
ill say it... its extremely bad mojo using swivels at all when fishing soft plastics, i highly recommend just tying a leader to your main line, then tieing a lure not to your jighead.. it'll still give the plastic room to move, but it wont restrict it like a snap swivel will, also, swivels add profile to your lure, making them big.. you want to keep ur size down especially when fishing in the creeks and you will get less bites or hits when using the swivel then you would if you just used your normal leader knot

Tim

ballast
22-09-2004, 12:31 PM
No need for a swivel Shazbanger. Just tie the jighead straight to the hook and make sure you take the time to get the plastic sitting straight on the hook. The hook needs to come out pretty close to top centre and the plastic need to be straight, not bunched up. This will mean the plastic will swim upright and looking as natural as possible.
Some might say that adding a swivel will make the rig look strange and perhaps spook the fish. I also think it adds unnessesary time and expense to re-rigging after a snag.
Maybe you might consider a loop knot if you want more action from the lure but personally I dont think it matters if you are just casting and retriving as most of the plastics around now give a nice action from the tail.
Cheers, Brad.

Craftsman
22-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Ummm, hate to admit but I do get lazy and use them ;D
I just attach the leader to the fireline using a swivel, then if I want to change the leader from 8 down to 4lb or something I just find it easier.

I don't attach the SP with a swivel but I don't see the big deal if you did, plenty of guys still attach hard bodies with snap swivels. You could debate the effect that has. Personally I would never do it. But you know, what ever works. Give it a go and see what happens.

Colwatzek
22-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I am the same as Craftsman. When using my Flathead outfit I just attach the 6lb braid to a swivel and then a 12 to 15lb leader of about 30-40cm tied straight to the SP. I have foud great success with this setup along the Wynnum/Manly forshores. If the leader is any longer than 30-40cm it become cumbersome so a bit shorter seems the best.

Hope this helps

Col :)

aquarius
22-09-2004, 05:57 PM
I don't use a swivel with the soft plastics but do use a 3 metre leader.
6 LB FIRELINE AND 9 LB MONO LEADER.
My theory is that with a long leader when you have the fish close to the boat you already have the 9 lb leader on the reels spool.
Works for me.
Cheers #Brent

agnes_jack
23-09-2004, 06:01 AM
As a few of the boys have said, ditch the swivel.
I often rig with a rod and a half length of double, uni-knot line joiner to a metre and a half of leader. I believe that a loop knot to the lure gives the lure a heap more freedom of movement which results in a better swim action. As brent say's having a long leader or double allows you to have extra strength when the fish is close for landing purposes.

Regards, Tony ;)

DR
23-09-2004, 10:34 AM
have been reading about blokes using clips for fly fishing (little 's' shaped things from what i can gather) quite successfully.
anyone heard of, or tried these.
Cheers

basserman
23-09-2004, 11:32 AM
The only way i attach any of my lures are like this
1 when fishing comps i will tie a loop knot for the feiness of it
2 if im lasy in a comp or finessing things when fishing in everyday situatuins i will use a Fly Clip or
3 when i'm just fishing in the waters i know i just tie on a SMALL clip no swivle
i do this mainly as i'm lasy and when your changeing your lures all the time it is easyer
but to your question NO never use a swivle with a lure ;D

Fitzy
23-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I never use swivels for any type of lure/fly/plastic work.

fitzy..

C@RLO5
02-10-2004, 08:13 AM
yeh i use 6lbs fireline and 8lbs mono trace, u will still catch fish using a swivel to reduce line twist but like the others have said the less conspicuous the presence of the line and rig is the more hits you'll get.... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]