PDA

View Full Version : Rigs for offshore fishing

Burley_Boy
04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm still working on getting more and more experience offshore and each time I go out I learn something new. I've strggled at times with getting the best bait presentation when I'm being tossed around offshore and am interested in exactly how some of you rig for snapper, pearlies and some of the other niceties I pick up on the 24's and 36's.

I tend to rig a paternoster with no swivels, green beads on each hook setup (one running) and enough weight to get down. not uncommon to get twists etc.
Detailed info on how you attach your bait won't go astray either including the preferred way of setting up a livie rig.

Master_Jig_Builder
05-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Sounds like your fairly sorted in terms of a rig for bottom fishing. A paternosta or something similar usually does the job.

In terms of live bait rigs, you do not need anything fancy. 5 feet of leader at 100/150lb running down to a live bait hook (6/0-7/0 black recurved) will suffice.

Above that, attach a 5 or 6 ball sinker over your double and attach a quality swivel and snap to that. The weight of the ball sinker should be based on your decision to fish mid water or towards the bottom.

If we livebait for sails or baby blacks off Maloolaba then usually we find a stack of bait on the sounder first, jig up some livies on a sabiki rig, and then drop a fresh livie back into, and down towards the bait stack below using the irg mentioned above.

A slow drift down towards that stack usually produces the best results with your reel in free spool. On the strike, wait for a count of ten before slowly raising your level drag. By that stage your fish will be trying to turn and this (wait) often produces a more effective and cleaner hook up.

jeffo
05-10-2004, 09:06 AM
yep what steve has said is the best way to live bait for pretty much everything bar the razor gang where the mono needs to be traded for wire :)

Burley_Boy
05-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Above that, attach a 5 or 6 ball sinker over your double and attach a quality swivel and snap to that.
Absolutely brilliant guys and thanks for the replies, just a detail here from the quote.

Do you mean to attach a swivel at the top of your leader and then put a sinker above that, or is it a running sinker down to your livie?

Master_Jig_Builder
05-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Gday BB. Some anglers like to run that sinker down the leader. I prefer to do this.

(A) Take you main line and tie a (5-10ft)double in it using a bimini twist or Aussie Plait. Once finished, slide the end of that double through the sinker and then tie in a quality swivel and snap onto the end of the double.Open snap, attach your leader and live bait hook, attach your live bait by going sideways through the top part of it's nose, and just infront of the eyes, and your set.

The other way to attach the livebait is to bridle rig the bait onto the hook using a rubber band or thin piece of dacron. Time is not on my side so I will leave it to someone else to explain the latter rigging method (and top shots) if your not familiar with either.

Or (B)slide a small crimp onto your leader and crimp it lightly about 6 cm down the leader. Slide on the sinker, crimp off the top end into a loop. Attach a crimp to the lower end of your leader, attach your live bait hook and crimp off.

As mentioned, use wire instead of mono if your in sharp teet territory like Hutchies or the Trench.

Burley_Boy
05-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Cool I'll give that a shot next time I run a livie
Thanks ;)

jeffo
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
i like to do this so i can change sinkers simply and quickly..just make a larger loop and crimp it, then when you want to change sinkers just need to undo the snap and slide one sinker off and a new one on. the snap is attatched to a wind on.. but like steve said just put the snap straight onto your double.

the dacron loop on the hook if for bridle rigging baits. i find they troll much better with a loop and also leaves plenty of hook clear of the bait for a better hook up.

Master_Jig_Builder
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Yep good pics Jeff and they explain the methods well.

agnes_jack
06-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Burley boy
When live baiting on the bottom for trout etc, we use a running ball sinker either an 8-10 ball down to a single hook on about 1-11/2m nylon trace, with a single dropper up near the top of the trace. Livie on the bottom on an 8/0 vmc, chunk of squid or mullet on a 5/0 on the dropper loop. I reckon the small fish picking at the dead bait on top attracts the trout who then eats your livie. (in theory)

Regards, Tony ;)

jeffo
06-10-2004, 12:28 PM
ahh ive been taught by the best steve ;)

Master_Jig_Builder
06-10-2004, 12:32 PM
No worries mate. Just recognised the face in your avatar.

Did you go to the club presentation night? Great result for Wayne, yourself and the boat.

jeffo
06-10-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah we were all stoked steve!! was a top night. are you going to the meeting tonight or am i putting in your apologies?

what about the tournament this weekend?

Master_Jig_Builder
06-10-2004, 12:42 PM
G'day Jeff. If you would put in an apology that would be great.

This weekend, I wish. Otherwise occupied unfortunately, but keep me in loop.

Just back from the South Pacific so time is not on my side at present. Had to go and do some work at my mate's place in Vanuatu. See below:

http://www.vanuatufishing.com

Their annual marlin tournament is coming up in May 2005 with $35,000 AUD first prize. Interested anglers should be give a yell if they want to have a fish and a crack at the prize money. Mostly blue marlin 120-250kg mark with the odd 300+ kg fish popping up.

Will be available later this year for tournament fishing (end of October) if we are back to mid week fishing again.

jeffo
06-10-2004, 12:53 PM
its a hard life at the top hey steve ;D ::)

have to get wayne out for some jigging some time ( so you can give me some pointers). i got him to pull up on a bump the other day and got my first AJ on a jig-INCREDIBLE!!
shall put your apolopies in.
as for the mid week fishing, hopefully there will be a bit of that when the fish come on the chew.

Master_Jig_Builder
06-10-2004, 01:08 PM
At the top hey? Top of my late 40's and loosing my hair quickly, that's about it Jeff.

No worries on the jigging front. I will bring a few with me the next time we are out together. Will bring a 6 oz (200gm) glow head big banger jig with me and see what we can stir up.

If you have already belted an AJ then it sounds like you won't need much help from me. Even so, I have a new 2 speed AVET MXL loaded with 50 braid just ready for the job.

The lower gear is real handy once you have hooked up. Much easier to get plenty on them quick rather than trying to grind at 6:1.

Even more so the bigger the fish gets, like these puppies.

Burley_Boy
06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
You guys rock!
Thanks. ;D

rodd
08-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey Jeffo, can you explain the connection you use to your circle hooks. Ive actually seen it before but there must be a reason for looping the leading onto the hook & not just crimping it.....better hook-up I'm assuming???

Cheers
mate

jeffo
08-10-2004, 03:46 PM
ive only been using the circles for a few months now....i havent tried them free swinging yet.. i was told (by succesfull fisho's) to stiff rig them like this to help on the angle as the hook leaves the fishes mouth.. helps bite in the corner of the mouth basically.