PDA

View Full Version : How to rig skirts?

wessel
12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
If it is not too much too ask, would somebody on the list be kind enough of putting up a few pics on how to correctly rig a skirt, Please?

Any other comments on skirts you may have are always welcome.

Stainless steel wire, nylon coated cable or Mono as the leader?

What speed you troll at?

Do you attach stripbait to the skirt? You reckon it changes your succes rate?

Target species are for Spanish Macs / Tuna and if the weather allow for getting deep, the odd sail and marlin, but that is me an my wishfull thinking:)

Regards

Wessel

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:33 PM
ok. if your going to be chasing MACKERAL i would be going for cheap skirted lures... wellsy's mallissas and jet/bulllet heads rigged on single or multi strand wire... action is not so important in trolling skirts for macs as SPEED is the key and trolling them faster than 8 knots is the go!!

for tunas and billfish (and other non bities) you can run your more expensive lures. rig them on mono (the lighter the better for action). there is a few ways of rigging them but if you are new to it all i suggest the simple way of just crimping a hook on the line under the skirt and postioning it with a rubber band wrapped on the leader.

i will just post some pics that hopefully will help you out. these pics are just how I do it (not the best nor the most perfect ways of doing things but it has worked for me). Any costructive critism most welcome!!

first is a wellsys malissa rigged on sigle strand wire with a stainless hook (gamy SL12s would be better ;))

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:36 PM
next is a shackle rig (bit of a &*@k around to make up)

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:37 PM
shackle rig in a pakula

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:45 PM
now for the easiest (and very effective rig). the single gamakatsu SL12 10/0 on 100lb mono. I use 2 crimps with the mono twisted between each and the rubber band to space the hook (to the rear of the skirt) and also keep the hook upright.

hopefully these pics show it well enough for you. if not PM me and i will explain more.

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:46 PM
the rubber band stopper

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
and the final result

jeffo
12-10-2004, 12:50 PM
as for your other questions

no dont use a strip bait in the lures. no need. for the pakulas (and other pusher style heads troll around 6-7 knots.

hope that helps you out some... i am WAY off knowing alot about trolling lures but thats just a few bits i have picked up so far.. all have worked so i can see no problems. :)

wessel
12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Mr J - Thanks heaps - I can already see where I was f$%^ing things up on my side.

I notice you allow the hook to sit more towards the tail of the skirt. Any reason for that instead of having the hook sitting more towards the middle of the skirt?

First reason I can think of is that mr fish have to bite through a hell of a lot of rubber skirt before getting to the sharp pointy bits=> leass hookup on the strike

Regards

Wessel

mackmauler
12-10-2004, 01:18 PM
the further back the hook is the better, mackerel bit toward the tail anyway, dont forget that lure is travelling at 6 knots, no matter where the fish bites the hook is coming towards it, you reckon you could dodge it ;) with dolphinfish they norm bite down on the head hard, with a single hook in the tail like that the hook goes in from the outside of the jaw a lot, they are one fish I would prefer a 2 hook rig for, you still get plenty though.
rob

pic is a skirted metal head rigged on 49 strand, rear hook just in the skirt, that one features the *mullet cut* after a spanish mack took it, the fish had both hooks well inside the mouth.