PDA

View Full Version : Calcutta Drama

lowndsie
13-10-2004, 03:30 AM
I've got a calcutta 50 for bass fishing but it's devolped a problem whilst casting. When i first got it it was sweet and I got heaps good distance on it. Now i'm struggling to cast it at all. I've looked after it well but i cant work out why the freespool is so sticky. The brakes are sweet and there doesnt appear to be any oil on the shaft. Has anyone had this prob before?

Strewth
13-10-2004, 04:41 AM
Probably the bearings, but check out http://home.att.net/~kelley_brown/reelservice.html

Covers all the obvious service points for shimano baitcasters.

Gigantor
16-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Also have a close look at the rims of the spool, as I've found in the past with my Cally 200 that a very slight dent in the edge of the aluminium spool can stop it spinning cleanly.

The aluminium spool is probably the weakest aspect of the reel. Everything else is tough as.

Just a thought anyway.

Ultimately if you can't fix it yourself - take it to a good tackle shop and get it looked at.

Cheers, Gigantor

Volvo
16-10-2004, 10:04 AM
:)have you recently had it apart n maybe used a different oil...??

NeilD
17-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Try giving it a strip down and soak the bearings with petrol, white spirit or dry cleaning fluid then lightly oil and reasemble. Some oils seem to be incompatable with each other and others emulsify with contact with water.

Neil