PDA

View Full Version : Who's got an Alvey 825 bcv reel .

Hagar
18-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Are you happy with your 825 bcv's freespooling friction when dropping lighter leads to the bottom or is it slow like mine was ? If you are unhappy then read on .

After being frustrated with the time taken to drop light leads in small current I found the culprit in the back of the spool . There is a plastic part driven by the 'fish alarm' button (ratchet) that clamps to the shaft of the spool . It's intended purpose is unclear and the reel works just fine without it but it is the cause of the slow freespooling . Have recently removed this from a fishing buddy's reel and he too is wrapped with being able to drop light leads quickly . For anyone interested here is a step by step . Recommend you keep the clip of course just in case .

Step 1. Put reel into freespool , remove the knurled knob , take off special washer from under it and remove spool . You can see the edge of the clamp sticking out from the centre of the spool .

Hagar
18-10-2004, 11:37 AM
With a screwdriver or similar use the slot in the clamp to flick it off the spool . It's split and will flex open and slide off .

Hagar
18-10-2004, 11:42 AM
You can now slide the reel spool back on and put the washer and knurled knob on , The reel must still be left in freespool so the anti reverse ratchet is as in this photo for the spool to go fully on . If anyone does this mod let me know what you think .

Chris

sharkbait
19-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I think the part you have removed is the guide for the fish alarm to engage/disengage the main gear.

Not sure about the deep sea models but on the smaller lever drag reels if you remove it/don't replace the spool so that the button sits inside it, the reel will make a clicking noise when you wind it.

Obviously not an issue with yours though.

Kris.

Hagar
19-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Kris
I think you are right . I don't need the fish alarm feature as I use it for deep bottom fishing and was getting peeved with the slow freespool while the deckie using my 925 alvey was getting to the bottom faster with the same lead and would have a fish before I was even on the bottom .

Chris