PDA

View Full Version : Backing up fireline.

mini696
01-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I have just bought some new 30lb fireline for my reels. I initially had 20lb spidrewire on them straight on the reel.

I have heard that its a good idea to back up the reel with some mono prior to rigging up with the fireline. I am assuming this is more to save some money rather than improve your fishing. Am I correct in assuming this?

If I were to back up the fireline with mono. Should I use the same guage line (ie 30lb)?? How much should I back up (1/3)??

Any assistance would be appreciated?

basserman
01-11-2004, 08:02 AM
ok best way to do it is to (if you have two spools) wind fire line on first then top shot it with same lb line so spool is full then wind straght to the other spool OR if you have only the one spool do as above but then you will need to wrap the line around some thing then again around some thing again so that when you wind the line back on to your spool the mono backing is on the bottom and the fire line should be full to the top of the spool but not too full that lose loops of the fireline can come off when casting! ;D
cool clear as mub now hey! ;D

NeilD
01-11-2004, 08:10 AM
I always use mono a lot heavier (1.5X) than the stated B/S of the Fireline. It normally breaks well above the stated B/S so if you are into your backing and have to put the pressure on I want it to pop down at the fishy end rather than loose my Fireline. One of the benefits of using mono backing is that sometimes the GSP can slip on your spool.

Neil

basserman
01-11-2004, 08:42 AM
i guess with only fishing bream and bass and some others the backing doesn't come into play
a bream or bass would never take that much of a run and even a jew would be turned by then or snapped off ;D

NeilD
01-11-2004, 09:14 AM
It depends what you are chasing. The 30lb Fireline would break well over 40lb if its anything like the lighter ones.
Neil

notts_so
01-11-2004, 09:32 AM
I use 50mtrs mono backing for 3 reasons
1...to stop any slippage that may accure
2...So im not paying so much for braid
3...So when i se the mono i know its time to lift pick and chase
Hope this help you make sence on the backing situation

aquarius
01-11-2004, 05:41 PM
I use mono backing to stop braid slipping on the reel and to make sure the reel is topped up fully.
My line class in the mono is the same as the braid.
You will definately get more bites on light line but hey you win some and you lose some......thats fishing!!!!!
Cheers #Brent :D

spinner
02-11-2004, 03:04 AM
First wind your required amount of fireline onto spool (you may have to attach this to spool with a piece of tape so line does not slip) don`t worry about strength of this attachment because it`s only a temporary step.Now join mono and fill up spool.
If you don`t have an empty spare spool for this reel, wind mono onto one container and cut where you have joined to fireline. Then wind fireline onto another container so you can put mono back onto spool first,then add your fireline.
Good luck.

aussiebasser
02-11-2004, 06:08 PM
i guess with only fishing bream and bass and some others the backing doesn't come into play
a bream or bass would never take that much of a run and even a jew would be turned by then or snapped off #;D
You're fishing in the wrong places basserman. I recently got spooled by a Bass using 6lb Fireline on a Stradic 1000 at Wivenhoe. I've never had to chase a fish with the leccy motor before.