PDA

View Full Version : Hard-soft hybrid squid from aaahh....?

DICER
05-11-2004, 07:35 AM
As I'm dying to fish my home areas (Brisbane and Adelaide) after being two years in Holland and not having fished during this time, I would like to know whether anyone on here has seen these ... hybrid hard-soft squid around?

I'm absolutely itching to hoic a line in the water - The plan is to buy some hybrid squid here before I come back next month, but they cost around 7 Euro (12 australian dollars). Do tackle shops in Brisbane for instance stock these? I think the hybrid might be better than an alround soft plastic as it won't be so mashed quickly? But then again 12 AUD!

I do know that a completely soft Kokoda prawn is sold, but what about the soft squid in Brisbane?

Uru...... DICER

Jeremy
05-11-2004, 07:42 AM
I have seen the lower ones in the photo in Brisbane. Looked OK and I bought some, but I wasn't happy with how they rigged up and didn't use them much.

Never seen the squids with bibbs though. Interesting, but I don't think squid swim like that anyway.

Jeremy

Fordo
06-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Dicer,

You can get the bibbed squid in Aust. You'd probably have to get someone to order them in for you.
Different brand and about 230mm long, rigged with 2 sets of trebles they will cost a little bit more than $12.00 though.

Heaps of other Soft Plastic Squid in different sizes on the Market as well.

Terminator Snapback Tubes in super plastic will handle just about anything Snapper to Mackeral.

Soft Plastic Squid with flashing Strobe lights.

The list goes on

Fordo

DICER
06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks Fordo and Jeremy ....

the link you provided Fordo looks good, especially the Power Squid with scents already buried in them - I like the idea and I think I will try them.

Good point regarding the swimming action with the bib... perhaps slow retrieve? I'm aiming for Jew and Kingfish...

I don't know how the Dutch go with these bibbed jigs and next time I'm in the store I'll ask. I'm guessing their main target is horse mackerel.

Uru....

damons33
07-11-2004, 04:50 AM
more yo-zuri copies!!! funny that the euro's are coping japs on the fishing scene. i got the yo-zuri diver squid but i aint game to swim it as it looks so perfect it has pride of place in my "show box" .
#i think aussies , yanks and japs lead the world in fishing gear.
#the only euro product i use to buy is rapala and now i don't bother with the cost they are and would use either blue pillies or 190 laser pros for those tasks.
:-*
i think the knife type jigs are the most life like squid imitation there is!
and most of the time its hard to go past a strip of hot still bleeding mack tuna fillet- cut like a jerk bait! with in built scent!
a buck thrown to europe has little chance of return.
#and we use strings of flies for "slimies" the jarvis walker 1/0 jobbies are best suited for the "horse" size slimies.
# did you catch any pike in holland uru?
damo'

DICER
07-11-2004, 07:27 AM
the hybrid squid, aka yo-zuri copies, actually come out of a catalogue with mainly rappala gear but I don't know if they are associated with rappala. I'm a bit worried about the hybrid squid trebbles - and they'll probably straighten out.

Jigs would be all the go if I was boating. But I'm mainly a shore-rock-beach person. Last time I was fishing Adelaide, live tommies (ruffs) or tommy strips were the go for the larger schoolies (~80+cm), but I was also catching a few squid directly from their feeding area. Two larger jew completely stipped 120 metres of 40 lb line+jointed lure. So I'm willing to pay a little bit, if it's for some fun on the larger jews if they go for the quid.

Anything chucked too big at them ends up with them spooking off.

Over at straddie - I could see the jews in the water collumn, but they wouldn't touch anything (live pike, dead squid etc). The kingfish were after poddies.

Haven't been fishing here in Holland, as I eat what I catch, and the canals here ain't exactly clean [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif]. Have seen carp, pike, dead eels and some other redfinned fish. Also a complete couch-sofa. Haven't been offshore, but have netted 40 kilo of tiny prawns called crabben - very very tasty. Quick to catch - hard to peel.

DICER

damons33
07-11-2004, 11:47 AM
uru, luhr jensen made the first soft plastic bodied squid( from portland oregon,usa availible thru dunphy's), different from the vinyl skirts type squids, they work well ! but now there is a plethora of soft plastic squid makers-including kokoda(r.o.c).
the jointed rapala gar imitation was their finest lure the long sucker - sorry roy aka "spot x" that time a barracuda destroyed the one you let me run up at roonies, the finish wasn't so flash after it got its teeth into it!
they are great lures' rapala, but now here they cost $25+ and aussie made lures that work just as efficiently here cost $15.
tackle store in brisso' stock mainly aussie made stuff and for plastics its hard to go past the yanky bass gear. french made "rublex" were the finest maker of "celta"type spinners which are now the predicessor of the "spinner bait". what about a weekend in ireland catching pollock from the rocks? they look a bit like mini jew! if you strike out you can catch a guiness at the bar!
damon

DICER
07-11-2004, 04:27 PM
now alll I have to do is convince the missus Ireland is romantic..... [smiley=happy2.gif] and that we have fish and guiness for dinner [smiley=devilish.gif]......but seriously time+work is the killer. It'll have to be a summer job, but you have me thinking. I quite often frequent Hamburg and there are also the big fish there, and nuke power plants on the Elbe river [smiley=angryfire.gif]

I think the rapala lures are coming in here at around ~18 AUD, but today I check.

DICER
07-11-2004, 11:18 PM
The rapala lures were around the 17.40 AUD for jointed. Much less for the other rapalas.