PDA

View Full Version : Reel Saftey Straps ............

Black_Rat
12-11-2004, 07:04 AM
G'day all,

Once this inclement weather and wind is kind to us >:( I'll be heading offshore / Moreton Bay to do a bit of trolling :). I'm now looking at purchasing a saftey strap or lanyard to hook up the rod n reel to the boat in the event it gets pulled out of the rod holder by a solid hook up. To date I've only been able to find the Shimano type which are between $20 - $30 (cheap insurance) depending on the tackle store. I was wondering if there are any other alternatives on the market and if so where would I locate them ? :-/

Damo.

billfisher
12-11-2004, 07:14 AM
You don't need to pay that much. All you have to do is buy a brass snap for a couple of dollars from a marine chandlery and tie a rope to it. It is a good idea to use a reasonable length (1.8 - 2 m), so that you can remove the rod from the holder and play a fish with the snap atached.

Heath
12-11-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm with Billfisher. $20 bucks for a bloody strap!

Make your own.

basserman
12-11-2004, 01:46 PM
yep agree make your own
loop knot one end of the rope (only needs to be 4 mm thick those little colored ones will do) then a goos two arms length and tie one ethier a brass clip or a stainless carbina to clip around the rod and reel

should cost about $20 to make about 6 of them if not less

Black_Rat
13-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas,
Dropped into Bias warehouse yesterday and sussed out some clips. They where about $2 for the brass type and $4 for the stainless ones, so I'll make a few up myself ;) bloody tackle stores keep calling me to spend money ".. damo.....damo........" ;D ;D ;D
Damo.