PDA

View Full Version : favourite braid

scatter1
02-11-2004, 07:23 AM
i was wondering what everyone's pick for their favourite brand of braid is. i am leaning towards fins prt for some barra excursions this summer.

Strewth
02-11-2004, 08:24 AM
I've been using 20lb Tuf Line XP for the past 6 months and can't speak highly enough of it. Round profile, small diameter, good for knots, doesn't fray, and casts a mile. Also one of the cheaper braids around. Made by Western Filament, who actually make a lot of other braids (eg Penn Power Pro).

Strewth

spinner
02-11-2004, 09:45 AM
I`ve used a few different braids but keep coming back to Fireline. Most braids seem to hold more water once they are wet and then I don`t seem to get the same casting distance as I did on the first few casts. I`ve found Fireline seems to
work off baitcasters better too.

McCod
02-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Hard to beat Fireline even tho it is not a braid.A lot of expensive braid example "pink stuff "is just a super soker mop.
McCod.

Rossco
02-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Love that Tuffline XP.....It's all I use on my baitcasting gear and I back all my flylines with it.....Handles nice, no Fuzz, great knot strength

Rossco

Dr_Dan
02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
I use bionic braid on my barra gear. Can't fault it (mind you, haven't put it too test on any really big buggers! Tinarroo, here i come!). The one thing i don't like about the fused lines (spider wire fusion, fireline), is i find them a bit stiff. The bionic is nice and subtle. DOn't know if it makes any difference.

clutter
02-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Fireline up to 14lb. Bionic in 20, 30 and 50lb and Superbraid in 30 and 50lb also.

clutter

Leo_N.
03-11-2004, 05:04 AM
I like the Platypus Superbraid - awesome knot strength, nice and limp, doesn't seem to fray. I also use Fireline, but also find it a bit stiff at the higher breaking strength range.

toro1
05-11-2004, 12:33 PM
I use fins 4lb then the rest is squidgy braid from 6 to 20 lb, used to use fireline alot but thought of having a change. I havent used it enough to really give fair comment, but it seems ok.

Cheech
09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
My favorite braid today is Penn Pro Power Braid.

But the only reason is because I needed 300m of 50lb for my overhead, and after realising it was going to cost me around 70 or 80 dollars, came across this braid for 54.00 and in fluro green that I currently use, I was sold. Only time will tell if it actually is any good.

bignick
10-11-2004, 03:25 AM
I'm playing around with the Muscleline braid made by Pioneer. I'm only a recent convert to braid as I had a bad experience with it once. So far, this braid seems quite good and I'm happy with it at this stage. Only us it in deeper waters offshore. I'll have to go fishing more to compile more data, for research purposes, of course. I wonder if the Minister will wear that.

Cheeers,
BIGNICK.

Bad_Bubby
10-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Baitcasters: Bionic. Sits well on reel, good durability, affordable.

Spin reels: Fireline. Casts beautifully, great sensitivity.

mini696
11-11-2004, 05:41 AM
I have used Fireline and Spiderwire.

No complaints about either.

JB
11-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Cheech for 15pd to 30pd braid u cannot go past the Pen Pro Power Braid, it eats the competition for breakfast in IMO. You will love it. I have the pen in 15pd, 30pd, and 50pd. for the lighter stuff say round 6-8pd i stick with fireline, it seems to be better at that lighter strength.

Jason

Cheech
13-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Good to hear JB. Considering I know squat about deep sea fishing, it is good to find out that sometimes you make the right choice.

My theory was that there is really probably not a huge differece between the top brands, and I will never use it and abuse it enough to notice the difference.

But is always good to know you are on a good thing.

Cheech