PDA

View Full Version : VHF licencing question

cuda
31-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi guy's just a few quick questions
my boss was kind enough to give me a VHF hand held radio as a bonus for being such a nice guy ( got him fooled )
do i need a licence to carry or use it for recreational fishing purposes only ?
i know it would be very wise to do a radio licence course so any help regarding who to contact would be much appreciated as the courses seem to be few and far between
the boat came equipped with a 27 meg radio which i know doesn't require a licence but it seems that VHF is the way to go
many thanks in advance

Gary

Kerry
31-10-2004, 03:15 PM
....do i need a licence to carry or use it for recreational fishing purposes only ?...

Does require a licence to operate it for "any purpose" and technically actually does require a licence (operators licence) to even carry it but this is rather a legal reading of the wording.

....do a radio licence course so any help regarding who to contact would be much appreciated as the courses seem to be few and far between....
Depends a little on your location but the local VMR (you any where near Victoria Point ??) or Coastguard would be the first point of contact.

Cheers, Kerry.

Needmorerum
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Heard a rumour that Fisheries are going to be given authority to check for VHF licences as well. There have been two more Fisheries Officers allocated to the CQ area to assist with enforcing the reef fish spawning closure periods, and to assist in enforcing current laws. One of these are in Gladstone, the other in Yeppoon. Those fishing the likes of the Shoals and outer islands are expected to be checked more regularly.

Corry

s.tury
07-11-2004, 10:14 AM
I WOULDNT MIND KNOWING HOW GOOD ARE THE HAND HELDS I'VE GOT A 4.1 MTR TINNIE AND AM THINKING OF SETTING UP TO FISH OUT IN THE BAY SO I,M REQUIRED TO HAVE A RADIO . ARE THEY RELIABLE AND AFFECTIVE

Kerry
07-11-2004, 10:53 AM
What, Handheld VHF? They are expensive when compared to fixed installations and as always there's the issue of batteries etc

Range of a Handheld VHF? Depends, but I'd give them 5-8 nm, maybe 10 at a pinch?

There's really no legal requirement to have a radio but of course they are always a good safety measure regardless of where one fishes as mobile phones are really frowned upon when it comes to emergency marine communications.

Cheers, Kerry.

Black_Rat
07-11-2004, 02:53 PM
From memory must handhelds are 1 or 5 watt units whereas fix models are 1 watt / 25 watt with the ability to switch between 1w or 25w. I'd imagine 1w would be fine for bay use however 25w would give you greater transmitting power offshore. :-/
Damo.

whichway
13-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know who is offering the next licensing course for VHFs on the south side of Brisbane? I really should get round to getting mine.

Regards

Whichway

Black_Rat
13-11-2004, 04:22 PM
VMR Vicky Point ! over to you Loyyd (subzero) ;D

subzero
15-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Whichway, sorry havent gotten back to you sooner, busy weekend at work, there is a course in a couple of weeks, 23/24th November Tues/Weds night at VMR Vicky Point starting at 7pm and going untill about 9-30 to 10pm both nights.... test will probably be a couple of weeks later on the 4th or 5th Dec also at VMR Vicky Point unless you find it easier to do it over home here at Daisy Hill 1 night after work...
Cost of book for study $26-50 (Optional)
Cost of Test $38-50
Total of both if required $65-00 (No profit, totally at cost). MUST PRODUCE PASSPORT PHOTO WHEN YOU DO THE TEST FOR YOUR LICENCE

There wont be another one after this with xmas/new year coming up untill probably early feb...
Let me know if you want to put your name down and I will contact Linda who is running this one to book you in..
If anyone else wants to do it, she can take another 2 people
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
16-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Thank heavens you noticed that I screwed up the date in the post Bungie, have ammended the above post to the correct date... you were right with the dates that you originally had!!!!!!!
23/24 November VMR Victoria Point 7pm.
Cheers Lloyd

davo189
17-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes, according to the Communications Act you need a licence for own and operate your VHF set. MROCP is the actual qualification you will get and the course will give you much insight into marine communications. The course usually covers VHF, UHF and 27meg. On the issue of range, you will learn that VHF communications in the Briabane area are supported by 2 repeater stations - one at Mt Glorious and the other at Cape Moreton.

All in all, a very useful, worthwhile and interesting course.

Cheers, Davo.