PDA

View Full Version : Overheads for Jigging ?

banshee
15-11-2004, 09:12 AM
If anyone out there is using overheads on a regular basis for deepwater jigging,what is the most durable reel for the job and what retrieve rate would you consider a minimum?

damons33
15-11-2004, 12:03 PM
boss accurate twin drag, 6:1
then a trinadad 6:1

Double_Whammy
15-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Saltiga's are used quit often along with the 2 reals mentioned above, if ur looking at a bit less $$$$ then i would go a shimano torium 30.

XLR8
16-11-2004, 07:54 AM
I just got a Trinidad 20 for jigging.
I was at a local tackle store on the Gold Coast and checked out a reel called a Avet made in the USA

Price was a tad under $400. It had 6 s/steel b/bearings with a 6.2:1 ratio and a solid machined alloy body. The thing that made it a good jig reel is that you could put 14-16kg of drag on it and it is very light weight. I think it could hold 300yards of the 70lb jigman braid also.

They also make a two speed version

Kiktz
16-11-2004, 10:05 AM
XLR8,

I have been saving my pennies for a while to get a BOSS and the AVET's were released I think for the first time here in Aus and the trade show in August. From all reports they seem to be able to do as good as job as the boss but half the price.

My local is getting them in this week hopefully so once I have had a looksee I will advise. If you want to check them out their site is www.avet.com

The owner of my local was so impressed he has bought one for himself. I would like to know a lil more before parting ways with any cash.

banshee
16-11-2004, 10:24 AM
The Trinidads are out,mine was three trips old before I went jigging for the first time last Thursday,by 10.00am the one way bearing was letting go and the antireverse dog had mushroomed over,exactly same thing happened to my mates Torium.Does anyone know what drag the various Saltigas pull out of the box?

Double_Whammy
16-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Witchdoctor get about 16-17 staight outa the box on his saltiga 40a i think it is

>:( thats not wat i wanted to here about the Torium since I was going to set up 4 rods as jigging rods for friends and family that venture out with me. Banshee do u know wat sort of hurt was put over the Torium and the trinidad for that matter ie.... wat size fish were u hooking into.

XLR8
16-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I would be interested to see some pic's of the damage that the Trinidad sustained. Did you have a drag plate upgrade installed and what was you drag settings when it shat itself.

spinner
16-11-2004, 01:47 PM
It seems to me that the basic design of a star drag reel is bound to cop abuse when you have drag on full or near full and the reel out of gear,jig on the drop, and a big fish hits and the reel gets slammed into gear.
I`ve always felt that a lever drag reel, which is basicly always in gear, and just needs that big auto joy stick to be slid up to engage the drag plates has to suffer much less stress than the star drag reel. Can anyone see what I am getting at?
Reggy

NeilD
16-11-2004, 03:08 PM
That makes some sense to me. My ABU's used to shit themselves if hit on the drop.

banshee
16-11-2004, 05:26 PM
The Trinidad was set up with a Cal's drag plate and extreme smoothies from Jack Erskine and pulled 16kgs of drag through a rod it was set on 13kgs for the day.The Torium was set up with the normal drag plate that was shimed with a washer,it had a set of washers out of one of the new TN 16 narrows installed dry,it also pulled 16kgs of drag,the dog/pall on this reel failed in the driveway while testing,a new one was put in later and the washers very lightly greased with Shimano grease it now pulls 12kgs of drag but hasn't been fishing.I have tried to post photos before but when my mate gives them to me they are 458 kilobites and I can't work it out(to Dumb),I will try to explain the damage.The leading edge of the dog that engages into the anti-reverse ratchet sheared clean off in the Torium,in the Trinidad it mushroomed back on itself,the Torium was unusable,the Trinidad was slowly geting worse,sliping every now and then.The fish were Kings and AJ's not overly big,we only weighed two that went 8kgs and 14kgs,we caught 34 fish all up(two people),the majority between these weights,one real small one blew his guts on the way up and one sustained severe hook damage the length of his body,the rest were released in very good condition.

XLR8
17-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the great report on the trinidad's Banshee.

You certainly gave them a good work over on some quality fish. Pitty they couldn't hold up to the task. I'm not going to baby sit my reel, just use it until it shit's itself.

magicpudding
18-11-2004, 04:57 AM
Which AVET reels are the goods for deepwater jigging with 70lb braid?

Cheers, CJ