PDA

View Full Version : help with new surf rod

woody74
18-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi guy's, wife's shouting me a new surf rod for xmas, and was wondering what, in all of your wisdom would be a good one. Basically what Im looking at is something light but good enough to hang onto something reasonably big. FISH that is ;D. Rod I have is like a bloody lead broomstick, and the tip's not real sensitive. Don't know much about surf rods so any help would be great. Big spender is allowing $100, so hopefully that will get me something good.CHEERS woody.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Wilson.

$100 won't get a new one in the Live Fibre range but will get a very respectable light surf graphite stick. My mate got one 18 months back - very nice rod.

ba229
19-11-2004, 06:51 PM
I bought an "alvey" brand 12ft rod for $66 from the a fart store. it was on special down from $88 and i love it.

Sure it doesn't have fany numbers like 6144 or 7144 but geez it is a nice rod

Fishin_Dan
20-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Woody - I guess it depends on what reel you are going to use with it... I have an alvey reel (5") and a 10ft6 alvey rod cost me $46! If you use an alvey, look for a rod that has the short butt (Behind the reel seat). If using a large eggbeater, then you can get a rod with the longer butt behind the reel seat. I think the length of the rod butt has to do with the balance of the rod/reel... Someone more knowledgable on here will know though...

Aaron_Fogarty
20-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Mate
If yor throwing a pillie with a 10 ball sinker standing next to every other to dick and harry up the beach somewhere chasing tailor. For the money, a snider glass 5156 (5 wraps of fglass and 156 inches long) is the blank you want married with a 6 1/2 inch alvey. If you struggle to hold a rod for a long time try placing one leg slightly foward and rest the butt just above your knee. You can still get a good hook up if you get a hit. This is how the old club fisherman do it over 60 year old, all night.
Hope this helps
Aaron

davo189
20-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Snyder Glas 13'6" something like a "NorthCoaster" but that will break your budget.
Something a bit cheaper with a real nice feel is the Wilson 12' light surf - it based on a MT4144 blank and is a nice all round rod. Match that with a 6" alvey and it won't break your back.
Check out Jones or Tackle Warehouse or CampMart.
Cheers, Davo.