PDA

View Full Version : Which reel and what amount of line needed

Slaz
18-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi guys. I am new to the site and am looking for advice.

I am looking at several reels to combine with a 7 foot Silstar crystal power tip medium rod. I wish to target mulloway, trevally and maybe whatever peleagics i can get off of Carnarvon jetty. The reel I am leaning towards I am afraid may have too little capacity for my target species. The field has been thus far limited to:

1) Okuma Inspira IS50. Cap 250 yards of 15 pound. (My favourite)

2) Okuma Coronado CD65. Cap 280 yards 15 pound

3) Tica Sportera SR4507. Cap 330 yards 14 pound

4) Okuma Epix EB80. Cap 450 yards 15 pound.

Problems:

1) Inspira: Too small capacity?

2) Coronado: Why when I can have an Inspira or Epix?

3) Sportera: Doesn't come with spare spool which would be handy as the reel I decide on will be multi-purpose.

4) Epix: Too big for the rod?

I have a smaller reel (Shimano Aernos 6000) for the smaller spinning duties so thise rell is for mid to large(ish) fish as stated above.

If I fill the Inspira with braid would I have enough capacity for my targets?

Thanks guys.

Jeremy
19-11-2004, 03:32 AM
I think one of the first issues you need to look at is what line class you intend to use. For jew and trevally around structure (the jetty) I am thinking 10 kg would be very sporting, 15 kg line close to what you may need, and 25 kg enough to stop 'most' fish. For cleaner fighting fish like tuna and mackerel 10 kg should be enough but you may need 500 m.

This also depends on what size you reckon the fish you will be chasing will be! Sounds like the rod you have decided to use may only be capable of fishing 6-8 kg line, in which case you'll be lucky to land any trevally or jew over a few kgs.

I think you will need a reel which holds at least 250-300 m of whatever line class you decide to use.

Anyway, I am not a fan of Okuma and I'd suggest that you look at Shimano, Penn, Daiwa and even Shakespeare make some good reels.

Jeremy

Slaz
19-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Thanks Jeremy for your input.

Is there personal experience behind your dislike of Okuma? I am personally a Shimano man but I have heard very little bad feedback on the Okumas. Especially at the price point I am looking at... I could never dream of getting a Shimano for anywhere near the price.

Thanks,

David.

Jeremy
19-11-2004, 05:27 AM
yes, personal experience.

Jeremy

dfox
19-11-2004, 05:30 PM
You get what you pay for im afraid slaz...hows the fishing been in WA mate...foxy

ba229
19-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I like the info in the first post jeremy. It is a matter of figuring out what line class you want to use and what fish it will be used on.

I have been having a similar delemar with choosing a rod and reel combo and you have me looking at it form a different point of view (ie what fish and where)

aquarius
19-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Mate i bought 2 tica sportera reels and they both came with spare spools.....Also bought a tica 6.1 camry high speed reel and that came with a spare spool.......i would ask your dealer why???? or shop at another tackle shop.
Like the Foxy said if you want quality gear it will cost you a few extra dollars but its worth it in the long run i reckon.
Cheers #Brent :)

Slaz
19-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks again guys for your input.

dfox: I am not sure yet... that is why I am trying to sort out my decision! I will let you know. However, my family members who are Carnarvon residents have been catching a lot of mulloway, trevally and the odd cobia. I know the old saying always applies but I am afraid i have an upper limit of expendable cash and these reels on ebay are at that limit. So I have to choose the lesser of the evils I guess...

My mother uses a Okuma Epix EFS60 for a year now. This is not meant for heavy duty use, but she uses it for sharks, cobia, big mulloway. The thing has taken a hammering. She had it completely stripped recently and there is no sign of wear at all. Maybe my Mum got a good one or you got a dud, Jeremy?

Aquarius, how are the Tica Sporteras? What size are they? What do you use them for? How are they holding up?

Thanks again guys. Your input is much appreciated.

David

Jeremy
20-11-2004, 03:08 AM
so what size line do your family members use for the trevally and jew? The drag is usually set to 1/3 of the line class you are using ie 10 kg line = 3.3 kg drag.

My experience with Okuma has been with an epix 30. The drag has a tendency to loosen during repeated casting and the click controls on the drag do not allow for fine enough tuning.

Why limit yourself to ebay? Have a look your local paper, or even wander down to your local tackle shop and see what they can do.

Jeremy

Slaz
20-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Hi Jeremy.

I believe my mother uses 20 or 30 pound. I just asked her last night, yet I cannot remember exactly (it'll come to me once I have posted). However, she has the non baitrunner EFS80, not the 60 like I thought. Maybe there is an issue with the baitrunners?

I have tried the paper and local tackle shops. Unfortunately nothing in the paper and the tackle shop is over twice the price of the reels I m looking at. I would like to buy my reel from them ( I will buy my tackle from them) but with my budget I would be walking away with a Jarvis Walker or a Gladiator or something. If they were like $20 or $30 different I would buy from them but we are talking over twice the price...

Thanks again Jeremy for your help.

devocean
20-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Use a handline you catch more fish and you even get a chance to get a few scars which are always pretty cool. Cheaper to

Slaz
22-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks again for your advice. I ended up purchasing both an Okuma Inspira IS50 and an Okuma Coronado CD90 (the big one). Sorry Jeremy, my mother's testimony and the overwhelming good feedback on the Okumas outweighed the occasional bad remark. Hope you aren't offended! We'll see how they hold up. The prices were so low I could not resist.

So, in the end, I got one reel for spinning and the other for boat/rocks. Now all I need is another rod. Doesn't take long for the $$$$ to add up....

:o

Slaz
22-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Devocean:

Yeah I was looking at the potential money I could be spending if I let my heart run away with itself and the old handreel was looking pretty fiscally responsible. So I bought a couple for if the Okumas break ;)