PDA

View Full Version : That Mart ......A

Black_Rat
19-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Have you ever been into that mart and been greeted with a HI HOW ARE YOU SIR / MADAM
It does prompt you to say hey or be starteld ?
But I like to say to the young ladies '..How yyoouu Dooin.. ;D'
What do YOU say ? ???

vortfu
19-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Im the anti social type and dont like to be bothered by staff unless I specifically ask them about something. I usually just give the `stfu and point me to the fishing section` look :)

vort-fu

ba229
19-11-2004, 06:46 PM
lol . i am always curtious and greet them back with "i am well thank you, how are you?"

As for talking to em from that point on ? i am with Virtfu. Only want the help when i ask for it. :)

p.s a teacher i once had was a character and when he asked "how are you?" and we replied "i'm good" he sometimes said " i know you are good, but are you well?" ;D. Hence i always say " i am well thank you" :)

SeaHunt
20-11-2004, 07:45 AM
I know the sales staff get this shit drummed into them about hassleing people, but has anyone ever done any real research and proved it actually works. ???
There are some shops I refuse to even go into because of this crap.
I absolutly hate it when they follow you around trying to talk to you.
When they greet you and say are you right do you need any help etc , I usually just say , "Mate if I need any help , you will be the first to know". :P

cod_botherer
20-11-2004, 07:50 AM
... and don't you just love it when you do finally ask that know-it-all salesman a question and thay answer with that "you-mean-you-don't-know-how-that-works-you-moron" sort of tone >:(

whiteman
20-11-2004, 07:55 AM
It works. Tons of research. But in experienced hands only. The vast majority of people who go into a shop for retail therapy have no idea what they are buying. Really well trained staff should be able to convert this to sales or at least make it a pleasant experience. Have a look at Michael Hill Jewellers, Bunnings and a bunch of others for examples. The mart is not a good example I'm afraid.

Mad_Barry
20-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Would you like fries with that answer Whiteman ? #;D

Sportfish_5
20-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Do you want chips or French Fries ?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

that ad cracks me up each time I see it ;D

CQ_Fisher
20-11-2004, 09:54 AM
My Dad is a typical cranky old bugger and hates the way Australia follows everything that the US does. i remember years ago when i was still a young fella we went to Sizzler (that was a task in itself to get the old mean to go somewhere where you had to line up to serve your own food) i remember when we were ordering our meals the poor innocent girl on the counter asked Dad if he wanted french fries with his meal, the conversation went something like this:
Girl: would you like french fries with your meal, sir?
Dad: no thanks, but i will have some chips
Girl: but we only have french fries
Dad: i dont eat french fries, but i do eat chips
Girl: um, they are the same thing?
Dad: (acting ignorant) are they really?
Girl: so would you like french fries?
Dad: no, just some chips thanks love
Girl: but didnt i just tell you that they were the same?
Dad: yea, but i dont like trying new foods
Girl: ok, would you like chips with your meal, sir?
Dad: yes thanks, love

SeaHunt
20-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I reckon it works on chicks, and they just havn't worked out guys know what they want BEFORE they go into a shop, and hate to be annoyed. ???

ba229
20-11-2004, 10:53 AM
hahah CQ Fisher, that is a great story.

Will have to put on my cranky hat soemtime and try that for a laugh ;D

whiteman
20-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Dicko, no fries thanks, but I've had a few pies with flies.

DaneCross
20-11-2004, 11:16 AM
It's the "see you later" that gets me. It'd be ok if it was from the person who has just spent some time serving me, but it's from some random bugger that has to stand at the door scaring everyone who walks through it. I just think, "Why? We've been in, spent up (or not) now we're leaving, you can no longer get anything from me or do anything for me..."

Girella
20-11-2004, 02:07 PM
You mean they say that to every customer !!!!!??

I really believed I was someone special so I bought every item in the store just to prove it.

klyons
20-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Did someone say Bunnings? :o
You could die in the one here in Toowoomba and they wouldn't find your body for a week.Try and sell you something, Ya can't find anyone in that place to ask anything let alone have them try to sell you anything.

I love the place ;D ;D

Kev

joeT
20-11-2004, 07:26 PM
I reckon it works on chicks, and they just havn't worked out guys know what they want BEFORE they go into a shop, and hate to be annoyed. #???

That is so true! But the thing is, I think females make up the bulk of the shopping population...

Guys don't shop, they just get what they want.

bungie
21-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Bunnings is unbelievable, must be over a hundred paid staff in each store, and not one of them is there to serve the customer they all seem to think its Fred's job to do that

agnes_jack
21-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Ya can't please you guy's ;D
I always make a point of greeting every customer who comes in my shop with a "g'day how are ya" or similar. It's not an attempt to ram anything down anyones throat, merely a curtesy to make them feel welcome, and so they feel comfortable enough to ask for help if they need it. Same respect I say "see ya later" or "have a good day" when they leave. I am not a high pressure sales person and I regulary talk myself out of sales by showing a better or cheaper alternative, or even telling people why that item is not needed in thier situation.
It blows me away why so many people "freak out " when you say hello!
Often the response to a hello is "IM JUST LOOKING"
Just maybe, the shopkeeper is genuinely friendly, or wishes to help you with your needs?

# # # # # # # # # # RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!

# # # # #Regards, Tony ;)
PS- Maybe some of you need to move out of the city! ;D ;D

Dr_Dan
21-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm with you Tony. #Yes, sometimes people can give you the trots if they follow you around, when you really don't want them to. #But it annoys me more, when people don't pay any attention to you when you walk into the shop. #

agnes_jack
21-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Dan
Thats it mate! Fair enough if someone is gunna follow you around showing you this or showing you that, but I never thought that being friendly would turn customers off.
You can't win! ignore people and your an arogant pr@ck, be friendly and your a pressure salesman!

Anyone who wishes not to be spoken to when they come in my shop at the M&G, please notify before your arrival, and wear a name tag when you first come in.
I do not wish to offend anybody, and its likely that I will because I'm just a friendly sort of a dude!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;) 8)

Gordon_Scamp
22-11-2004, 07:14 AM
There's another angle to this. As retailer by greeting each customer as the come into the shop I'm offering my assistance should they need it, I am also making the person aware that I have seen them. Most people that come in are there to either browse or buy but a suprising number want to steal. Making a dollar in this industry is not easy and shoplifting can become an expensive additional overhead cost. This is the reason that on occasions staff "shadow" people in stores, it's not always easy to pick the doubtful characters. #The most respectable looking people of all age groups are sometimes the most likely to steal.
Regards,

Gordon

vortfu
22-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Tony,

Instead of asking everyone a question, even if it's a simple question (ie. how are you), I'ld suggest a simple greeting instead, `morning` / tip of the hat / etc. People can reply with a simply `hey` and move on, without feeling intimidated of having to answer a barrage of questions from you (whether that's your intention or not .. people see sales / staff as all the same) `what are you after`, `where are you going`, `what are you targetting`. Some people dont mind a chat, but they will usually initiate the conversation. The rest of us want to know that you've seen us and we're not invisible (you greeted us without asking 500 questions) and that should we need some help you'll be there to help.

Maybe you're doing this already, maybe you should trial different greetings out of a set period, or maybe you should keep up scaring us city folk just for kicks :)

vort-fu

agnes_jack
22-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Vort-fu
Get your point, but I consider my greetings to be short and simple, this only turns into a conversation if the customer continues it.
Thevast majority of my customers love the greeting they get, only seems to be uptight people from the cities that take it as anything more than that. G'day mate, or how ya going is not 500 questions, its one and the world would be a better place if we all acknowledged eachother in a friendly way! :D

Sorry if it offends but if you come in my shop, you WILLl recieve a friendly greeting :D
If it scares a few customers off, so be it I probably don't care enough about the sale to want to deal with someone who has already decided that I am pressuring them by saying G'day, What is this world coming to!!!!

Say G'day to a stranger! :D :D :D :D
I always feel good about it.

Regards, Tony ;D

blaze
22-11-2004, 05:01 PM
The shops i deal with locally are a bit the same as you Tony, always greeted with Good Ah, ya right, I will then ask if i want some thing or say ah mate, just looking. I will also tell a sale person if I dont approve of what they are doing (in a pleasant way) at first, if they dont take heed, its my choice, i dont shop there.
Always found small towns better
cheers
blaze

cod_botherer
23-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Tony, I've been in your shop a few times and your greeting and atmosphere is perfect. :)

I think the original complaint is about the big chain stores who's staff are trained like parrots and don't come across as genuine. It's a difficult balance.

agnes_jack
23-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks for that Cod!
Next time introduce yourself, may be able to give you some info!!

Regards, Tony ;)

mini696
23-11-2004, 09:04 AM
I'll make sure you see me in your shop Tony... I'll be the one picking your brain for the hotspots... And looking like I wish I had more money.

I went into my local tackle store on the weekend. Was greeted with a "How are you? Can I help you with anything?"... I said "No just looking". And it was left at that. Even after I was in there for 30 minutes they didn't bother me again.

Later that same day I popped in again (after pricing what I was after elsewhere), and was greeted with "Hello again, still looking?" I replied with "Yeah mate still looking".... easy as pie. No bother to me, none to him. After looking round a bit I asked for help, and got some good advice, plus... when you strike up a friendly conversation you can get some handy information.

I guess what I'm getting at is... If the owner asks the question once, as soon as he sees you or is free from other customers, and leaves you alone after that, then I'm happy. He's made his point ("I'm here to help you"), without being pushy.

And I dont mind being shown a "special of the week" or similar thing either.

I HATE the salespeople who dont seem interested in their job. The ones who are only asking if they can help because they are bored and dont want to vaccuum the floor.

My two bobs worth (2.2 inc GST).

Mickk

FishFrame
23-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Tony, as per the cod_bothering type, I have also enjoyed your shop and friendly greeting in the past!

I think people are being a bit sensitive about this issue. As my old man always said, "it costs nothing to be nice to someone, but it might cost you a shit load more if your not!"

Look forward to dropping in again this December, Tony and I'll introduce myself this time ;D.

SeaHunt
24-11-2004, 10:55 AM
It blows me away why so many people "freak out " when you say hello!
Often the response to a hello is "IM JUST LOOKING"
Just maybe, the shopkeeper is genuinely friendly, or wishes to help you with your needs?

# # # # # # # # # # RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!

# # # # #Regards, Tony ;)
PS- Maybe some of you need to move out of the city! ;D ;D

It the city that does it to you alright Tony, or more to the point all the harrassment you get in a lot of shops here, it really does wear a bit thin after a while.
So I guess when they get to your shop they are still a little gun shy. We just need to RELAX and realise we are not still in the city, and maybe this bloke is just being genuinely friendly. :D
Maybe if you greet us with the offer of a beer mate, we would feel comfortable. ;D

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Seahunt
If ya make it too the M&G, I'll have a coldie waiting for ya when ya get here!
What flavor? VB, XXXX, ????????
Might just wash away the stress of the city, and get you in the mood for the rest of the M&G.

Regards, Tony ;) ;) ;D ;D

Black_Rat
24-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Seahunt
If ya make it too the M&G, I'll have a coldie waiting for ya when ya get here!
What flavor? #VB, XXXX, ????????
Might just wash away the stress of the city, and get you in the mood for the rest of the M&G.

# # # # # # # Regards, Tony ;) ;) ;D ;D

Rum & Coke Tony !

I cant wait with the Formosa :D ;D
Damo

Black_Rat
24-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Start of with a few xxxx then GET INTO IT ...........BUNDY...... :)

That will get me spending heaps on tackle Tony ;D ;D

agnes_jack
25-11-2004, 03:53 AM
Blackrat
So if I give you enough rum, I should be able to empty your wallet eh?
How much rum does it take? and how much do you carry in your wallet?
I have a sneaking suspiscion that the cost of the rum would negate anything you brought in your wallet! ::) ::) ::)

# #Sounds like a good idea anyway!!!!!!

# # # #Regards, Tony.........mmmmmmmmmmmm #Rum!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS... How does rum go with crayfish?

Black_Rat
25-11-2004, 04:01 AM
Tony,

I've normally got a fiddy in the wallet and it will only take a couple of rats to break out the credit card :-X ;D ;D ;D
Damo

Volvo
25-11-2004, 06:16 AM
:)just say "Yuggunnaga" ;).

SeaHunt
25-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Tony , XXXX AND Rum, . uuuummmmmm #... #thats done it , I am coming. [smiley=laola.gif]

Black_Rat, stop trying to push in , he was offering the beer to ME. # [smiley=stunned.gif][smiley=stunned.gif]

Can't say I will buy too much tackle off you though, Tony. Maybe some bait and a couple of sinkers. #::)
If I brought all my tackle up, I might be able to restock your store after the Ausfish boys have been through. #;D ;D

Seriously though I will check with the Boss and see if I can get that week off.
How many are you expecting up there that week.?

agnes_jack
25-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Seahunt
The beer is complimentry, as I said I am not a pressure salesman 8) 8)
I'd have a beer with you just for the sake of having a beer with you!
Not because I'd get a sale!
I'm not a good buisness man, but I love fishing and a beer! (or a rum, or a jd etc 8))
Hope you can make it!

Regards, Tony ;)

Black_Rat
25-11-2004, 12:47 PM
My lips are sealed #:-X #;D :-X

Mad_Barry
25-11-2004, 06:17 PM
WOW

What a title change on this post :o

Sure gets the message across ;D

Heath
26-11-2004, 04:37 AM
???Yeah, whats the story???

Had no idea that went on ??? ???

Cheech
26-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok,,,, so what if you are feeling crap. What do you then say when they ask how are you. I have no probs with a greeting, but I hate it when I am asked how am I when the asker really couldn't give a rats how I actually am. They really don't want to know how I am. You feel like you have no option but to lie and say, fine thanks. Or,,, should I say, not so well today, have a headache, back is giving me buggery, and the hemaroids are playing up again (don't actually have hemaroids, but you get the drift).

Just hello or gidday would be better in my opinion.

I suppose I was tarnished as I had this person that use to walk past my office every morning and say,, how are you? But before I even had a chance to answer, she was gone. Thus proving my theory that anyone that inquires to my well being really couldn't care less about my well being.

But having said all that,,, each now and then I am asked how I am, and the person really seems to want to know. This is when the saying means something.

Does this make me a miserable old sod?

jimbamb
26-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Havin worked in retail for years and owned my own business,and been a customer, ive seen both sides
If ya tryin to do ya job to the best of ya ability and customers are downrite rude to ya.ya can get pretty peeved.
I agree with tony greet ya customers with a simple "Gday" etc and say " if ya need help give us a yell" or the like. That way the customer isnt pressured and knows you know hes in the shop.Most people like to have a look THEN talk to ya about a product etc.Nothin annoys me more than wandering around ,obviously lost, and the shop assistant is readin a book or on the phone and could'nt give a sh.........!!!!
I walk out an go somewhere i can get assistance if i need it.
If ya say ya just lookin I prefer to be left alone ,Ill go lookin for help if i need it.Thats when a good salesman gets his sale.Youve opened the door for him and ya can do ya stuff.
Reminds me of the joke about the bloke who went to get a pkt of tampons for his missus and the salesman sold him a lawnmower.......... reconed his weekend was stuffed,so he may as well mow the lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyRod
26-11-2004, 07:43 PM
The most annoying thing happened to me the other day in a store.I walked in and approached a sales person and enquired about a certain product and the salespersons personal oppinion of the particuler product.He went on to tell me how he had just purchased one of these and loved it to bits(as they do)but he actually sounded to realy know his stuff and raved about it in such a fashion that he had me covinced he had one in his house and it was the best thing a no nothing like myself could buy!!This went on for about half an hour at least #and I believed him!So the next day I walked in with wallet bulging and approached the same fella and said "gday ive come in to buy one of those bla bla bla bla that you told me all about yesterday"and he replied with"which one was it again" so I told him it was the same as the one he owned and he must have forgotten me from 20 or so hours ago,he still fished for clues and I ended up telling him I didn't appreciate being bullshited to and I would spend my $4500 elsewhere and walked out!!!And continued shopping aound!He would have had the sale if he realy meant what he said but it was all crap!