PDA

View Full Version : Tackle stores are fighting back

ba229
24-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Went to all the local tackle and @mart stores yesterday to look at reels.

At my local tackle store they had an Abu Garcia 7500c3 for $199. The price on the box said $199 and the guy looked it up in the computer and said " yep they were $249 but they are now $199"

Ok so the price is $199 but over at @mart they had it priced at $229.

I asked the fellow there how much of a hassle it was to get a price beaten by 10% and he said hang on i will ring the tackle store.

Now there are 2 tackle stores here with the same name (ie part of a small chain) and i told him to ring the other one cause they knew i had been looking at that very reel only 2 hours before.

He comes back and says he rang the other store and was told $249 so he rang the store i went to and they also told him $249.

LOL the tackle stores are fighting back. :)

He came back after speaking to the manager and said he couldn't reduce the price and we agreed that i should go back to the tackle store and get it for $199. ::)

I have no moral or reason for this story other than to tell a interesting little part of the fun part of being a consumer.

I know some of you are all for supporting the local tackle store and paying a little more for the advice you get and generally i am too.

My first time at getting a 10% bargain? down the drain ;D

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 10:07 AM
I thought that because they advertise the fact that they will beat any price by 10% that they were, by law obligated to honor thier claims.
Some times its well worth checking your tackle stores first!

Regards, Tony

ba229
24-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Yeh i think the thing is that they could only verify a price of $249 cause thats what the tackle stores told em.

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 11:19 AM
The tackle stores down there are wiseing up!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Tony ;)

propdinger
24-11-2004, 04:17 PM
cant blame the tackle store as it worked you had to go back and look like a turkey ::)
nah im glad the tackle store got your money i alway use the chain stores last and only if there is a huge difference (which is not too often)

my money is better in the hands of the person that helps me not just sells me something

my 2 cents worth

jeff

ba229
24-11-2004, 05:09 PM
It occurred to me after my last post....

What if the tackle store had said $199 but the @mart guy just told me they said $249?????????????

Could it be???????

Brooksy
25-11-2004, 04:05 PM
did he talk to anyone at all ??? ???

Needmorerum
25-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Give ya money to the tackle shops, they're the one your going to go to later on and ask for some advice.
I have only walked into ####### (I put this in to see the wipeover) once and got served by some pimply little critter that claimed he knew all about fishing, and when I asked him how often he goes out, he replied 'I don't, I sell the gear so I can see what works'.
Never again.

Corry

davo189
26-11-2004, 04:30 AM
I try like hell to support the local tackle shop but you still have to keep your wits about you. A couple of months back I was looking for a new outfit. Got 3 prices for a rod and a reel from tackle shops:

Rod: $259, $239, $180
Reel: $318, $269, $230

I don't mind paying a bit of a premium but I figured that $100+ was better in my pocket that the other guy. Didn't go near ...mart.

Cheers.

baldyhead
29-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Of course if you took a recording device into the store and asked the counter jockey what the price was and in the discussion mention the stores name and ask him for his name in case you want to phone the store later ... then you actually have proof of price from that store. ::)