PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeare Tidewaters - Thoughts

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Was in a little store the other day in Springwood, and saw a Shakespeare Tidewater overhead on an Ugly Stick Gold rod (8-15Kg) setup for $119...

I am considering this as a cheap trolling rod. It seemed to be pretty good, but as I havent used an overhead before, I don't know much about them. I just wanted something cheap, and just interested in everyones thoughts

agnes_jack
27-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Dan
Be cautious about cheap overheads..... I say no more! :D

Regards, Tony ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Hmmm.... I'm a firm beleiver in that myself normally, but as I have never used them, and am just after a beginner one, I thought maybe it might fit the bill....

But if anyone has any suggestions about what is better, then I am more than willing to change my mind! Am looking around the same line strength (Or maybe down to 6-10kg), am looking at chasing snapper (Big ones hopefully!), and maybe a few bay pelagics. It would usually either be jigged down to the bottom, or trawled behind the boat.

Sportfish_5
27-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Dan - Gearing up when you are starting out can be a bit daunting especially when you are on a budget. I dont know too much about the Shakespeare gear but $119 can be blown quickly if you hook into a decent fish in the bay. Personally I would look at one rod to fish the bay for pelagics and snapper to start with.

For the mackies/tuna you will need a high speed threadline reel with a 6:1 retrieve speed matched to a good 10-15kg spin rod. I am sure there would be some cheaper (but still good) rods that will fill the bill while you get started but as far reels I would definitley spend a few more biccies on something that will see you through a few years of service. Reels such as a Shimano TSS4 or even a 6500 Baitrunner (which will be great for your snapper fishing as well) are some to look at. Shop around a bit and you should be able to pick up a TSS4 for around $140 new and if you can pick up an Ugly Stick spin rod you should have something for around $200. Spool it up with some braid (10kg or so) and youre ready for action.

Might be worth throwin an ad in the "Wanted" section as you never know what some of the guys want to get rid of.

Cheers

Greg

agnes_jack
28-11-2004, 04:29 AM
It is well worth spending a bit more, the pelagics will test your gear out.
Nothing worse than gear failure when you finally hook the one youv'e been waiting for!
A fella came in my shop once to buy a reel, I told him there is a huge range to choose from, and that it depends a lot on how much you intend to spend." Are you after a cheapie or a good quality one" His reply was, "I can't afford to buy cheap reels, I just keep replacing them. Give me a good one, they are the cheapest!"

Wise words I thought! Spend around the $200-$250 mark and you should get something that will do the job.
Shop around before making a decision.

Regards, Tony

baldyhead
28-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Dan I have a diawa 450h that is well over 15 years old and in that time I have used it for all types of fishing and have caught some nice fish with it. I use it for live baiting for fingermark and for drifting/trolling for spaniards too. It is loaded with 30lb schnider on a 50lb Pastime PowerRod. I originally stripped the reel and coated the insides with vaselene and this has paid off as I touch up the vaselene when I strip and reoil/grease each year. Maintainance is simple and drag washers I replace approx every 2 years. I also use tld reels but for a good value reasonably priced reel you cannot go wrong. My wife loves to use it as well.
check out the trading post and place adds here and in your local rag you may be lucky.
cheers baldy

Fishin_Dan
28-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys. I agree with you all, but am just not sure how far the budget will stretch just after getting the boat, etc, etc...

I saw today a setup of an Okuma Diezel reel (Not sure of the model of reel or rod) on an Okuma rod today. It looked very flash! What do you think of these? It was a 10-15kg setup. It looked very solid, and very good quality. Never heard much about these, but seen the name an aweful lot. Are these any good?

Thanks guys (& Gals). I really appreciate all the input.

Fishin_Dan
30-11-2004, 09:07 AM
The link for the Okuma's is http://www.okumafishing.com/products/combos/diezel/diezel.htm

It's the top combo in the picture.

Any thoughts guys?

NQCairns
30-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Dan I just bought myself a second hand Penn 245 GLS overhead in good condition for $90 dollars postage included, too big for you probably.
Not tooting my horn, just thought to let you know that you could find a nice quality reel in good cond for 1/3rd to 1/2 new fairly often, now that the TLDs have come down in price it has gutted the secondhand market in comparable areas.
Any rod the right weight with quality guides will get you over the hump IMHO.

I dont like that line counter idea, just more uneeded fluff and bother, what's that combo worth?

Fishin_Dan
01-12-2004, 03:28 AM
nqcairns - the combo's worth $169.

I have been trying to keep an eye on second hand gear as well... Just when I saw these, was curious if they were ok or not...

Guess I should just keep my eye open more.... Got a Humminbird Legend 2005 Deep Sounder last night brand new for $395!!! :D

Bashir
01-12-2004, 06:59 AM
I had a shakespeare overhead, think it was called a sea quest, but almost the same as a tidewater probably. It was a heap of crap and I sold it to cash converters for nothing. ::) I also have an ugly stick gold and the guides on them are cheap and nasty.

Fishin_Dan
02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Well I bit the bullet and spent a bit more... Went into Tackle World @ Sandgate, and the guy there is REALLY nice. Chatted to me alot, and explained everything he could about the reels/rods. Good to see good Customer Service is still out there! And not too far from home, so I may have found a new "local"!

Anyway, I ended up getting a combo with a Daiwa Firewolf 47H Level Wind & a 5'9" rod. It's rated 10-20lb, so should be more than enough for what I will be using it for.

And all up, $200! Great shop, and great gear... What more could I want!!!