PDA

View Full Version : Pflueger

Hobes
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Anyone out there used pflueger (namely contender) and had any probs?

Only asking because am looking for an offshore reel and the price is right. What is their quality like or should I look elsewhere?

any help is appreciated!

Zeeke
05-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Look elsewhere

20+ years ago.. Pfluegar was middle of the range gear.. since then its been bought by Shakespeare... the quality has gone down.. in the shop, the reels perform excellent, take them out on the water.. 2 or 3 trips and they shit themselves and just cant perform...

Tim

murrayscod
05-12-2004, 03:40 PM
yeah i have a fpluegar spin and baitcaster. and both have got seized bearings from salt water use. i dont know if buying the more expensive models might have more protection. they arent a bad reel for the price but i prolly wouldnt buy another one. not versatile enough for salt and fresh.

Fletch
05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Just for info...the Pflueger reels are now coming out of a completely new factory with some significant R&D dollars and some serious testing, the contender reels are actually very impressive, I have had several of them for over 6 months with the most of them being used 2-3 times per week and they are working superbly...I have used Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma over the years and can honestly say that the contender reels are significantly better than anything you will get for a similar price in any of those brands, I have actually destroyed reels in all of the brands mentioned above and the Pfluegers have been great, the lever drags in particular have performed really well, I reckon you should check them out.

Just my opinion ;D

Fletch

Cloud_9
06-12-2004, 09:36 AM
i have Pflueger Trion bait caster ( $325 ) had for 1 year been in twice for bearing replacement, same bearing both times salt sezure.
third time replaced myself with bearing i found through mircobearings no more probs.
their trying to sell freshwater reels to people wanting salt water reels.
have heard that the new one's are better but im not parting with lots of bucks haveing been stung before. for fresh their great, for salt they suk.

Cheers Cloud 9

portphillip
09-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Just bought a Pflueger Contender G30 a few weeks ago and used it for 3-4 times on snapper fishing, caught a few too. I think the reel is quite good, soft widing and smooth drag. So far I can't find anything disappointing about it. Hope this helps.