PDA

View Full Version : snapbacks

Scott15
24-11-2004, 03:36 AM
hey fellas

i was wondering does anyone frequently use snapbacks. I was thinking about buying soem becasue the reprots have been good from what ive seen. does anyone have any colour suggestions.

thanks Scott

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Way to go Scott
They are proving very effective on pelagics, reef species and estuary species.
The white, electric chicken, pink, and texas red all work well, just depends what You are targetting.

Regards, Tony
PS been some very big spanish caught on Snapbacks around here in the last few days. Should see some photo's in reports soon :o :o :o :o

Tony_N
24-11-2004, 09:43 AM
g'day Tony

Just received some 4" snapbacks by mail from Lure World. Great people very helful. However, these things seem a bit little (very skinny little beggars) for pelagics. Zeeke tells me that he puts them (5")on a single hook on a slug if he feels the need for a bigger lure. Are there any fat snapbacks to be had in Oz?

I bought arowhead jig heads -

Arrow Head General purpose painted Jig heads
2 1/3 oz #7/0 Seaguard hood
1 1/2 oz #5/0 Seaguard Hook

these appear to be too big for the 4" models :'(

Tony

dazza
24-11-2004, 09:43 AM
hi tony,
could you give us a rundown on how they are getting the spaniards on snapbacks? are they trolled or jigged? wire leader? etc etc. have terrorised a few schoolies on plastics, but tend to only get one fish per tail.
cheers
dazza

zedjack33
24-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Bundy finally has snapbacks coming.
Go in and ask the boys, they'll put an order in for you.
Tim has been using them with success. Bastard ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Zedjack33
[smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Zeeke
24-11-2004, 10:25 AM
There arent any "Fat" Snapbacks, but you can try the 4" Pitching Tubes.. bit like a hollow squid.. but i also think they have Creature baits out here aswell, a top squid imatation id say.. especially for big cobia.. but ill have to ask

Tim

Zeeke
24-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Btw.. the 5" ones are great for bluewater species.. but i reckon the 4" is perfect for reef species and estuary species..

<-------- the little trevally in my avatar was caught on a 4" Terminator Finesse Jerkbait in Watermelon with a 1/22 Bullet Head TT Lures Jighead.. it absolutely sucked the plastic down big time

Zeeke
24-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Dazza, the good things about snapbacks is, they can be trolled, using a 1oz TT lures Jighead, wack on a 30cm length of wire of desired strength, when trolled and the plastic is rigged properly, the tail vibrates and flicks around like a swimming fish, and down around Moreton where the dolphin fish are, some guys troll snapbacks behind the boat while sounding out reef fish to target on plastics and often pick up a Dolphin Fish doing that

Casting and retrieving also works, on my trip at Pancake Creek, we were fishing around 40 meters of water and it was simply a job of sounding out the fish, dropping the jighead to the bottom with the plastic, then a simple pull the rod up fast, drop the rod and wind up the slack,

Different retrieves worked, but the up, wind up slack and a 2 second or 2 pause to give a frantic jerking action was the best.. and often you'd jig like crazy then feel a lil bit of weight, then the rod would buckle over and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt the reel would sing as line peeled off back towards the bottom

Tim

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Dazza
They can be trolled or jigged, we have been doing well by using Zeeke's method of putting a single hook on a 40gm raider and doing a cast/jig sort of thing with them.
The ones caught round here recently, were just cast on a jighead.
Another way to go is to put them on a jig head, drop them to the bottom, wind up about a foot or so and leave the rod in the holder. Just let the boat action do the work! The creature baits are a goer too. On those smaller snapbacks I would be dropping the hook/jig siize down to about a 2/0. He did have some creature baits, not sure if he still carry's them or not?
Brett???????
With the spanish a short 4-5" piece of wire is a good idea!
# # # # # # # # Regards, Tony
# # # # # # # # # #

Zeeke
24-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Spoke to Bret, he's got white creature baits coming soon.. they are 5" and will resemble a very sexy but very deadly little squidly.. i see them being the fallout to a few cobia!

Tim

WHITTO
24-11-2004, 04:49 PM
:) :)Bass love em,
Cheers Whitto :D :D

dazza
26-11-2004, 03:56 AM
hi all,
thanks tony and zeeke,
was thinking about the rod holder method. when trolling for mac's and get a hookup, i like to leave a bait in the water to float/swim down to the bottom or bounce around on the bottom. often pick up some nice reefies. a rod loaded with a plastic would be the go, could clear the other lines and drop the plastic down.
do you stock them tony? is so i will grab a few off of you when i come up for the meet and greet
cheers
dazza

Zeeke
26-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Tony sure does stock them, he had a bloody good range of snapbacks in his shop last time i was there.. and a good range of TT lures Jigheads to wack up on the wall

Tim

Moffy
27-11-2004, 09:58 AM
anyone seen them up here around Cairns - Have been trying to find some to give them a go - but no luck so far - will probably have to get them ordered in i guess.

SNELLY
27-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Moffy,

Not aware of anyone up here who has them. I got mine from Tony aka Agnes Jack

Give him a yell and he will look after you

Snelly

vortfu
27-11-2004, 05:27 PM
I happened to be browsing through of my fishing mags from a few months back and they had a little write up on snapbacks.

Interestingly they had a big warning about not mixing them with the other soft plastics as it would cause both of them to melt, going so far as to say do not mix them in a tackle tray that has had soft plastics in before as this also would cause the chemical reaction to take place leaving you with a pile of goo.

Has anyone experienced this or was it a not so subtle ploy to offload the plano tackle boxes made from the same stuff (albiet in a hardened form) that they had advertised at the bottom of the page ?

vort-fu

Zeeke
27-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Nope, its a true fact... the snapbacks are made from a different chemical compound to make them last longer then normal plastics.. hence the stretch aswell.. ive seen a snapback thats been left sitting on another plastic for a week and the other plastic looks fine, but the snapback has a clear melt mark... and after a while, they do turn to goo.. i keep mine in there packets.. ive got too many hundreds of plastics in boxs as it is, i only reach for the snapbacks now they have a 2" and 4" plastic

Tim

Fordo
28-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Moffy,
You can store snapbacks in any Wormproof plastic tackle box as long as they don't contact any other type of Soft plastic,
and if the box has been used for Soft Plastics before it is also best to wash it out with a detergent to remove any residual oils left behind by the previous plastics.

I always think it's best to leave them in the original packet so the salt doesn't get knocked off them.

Fordo

agnes_jack
28-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Definately keeping them in the original packs is the go.
That way they recharge with scent and can't effect anything else.
There is a rep getting around the tackle shops at the moment, so most good tackle shops should have them shortly.

Regards, Tony ;)

Parko
28-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Moffy,

Try Cairns Bait & Tackle. they have a limited range or give Tony a call.

mini696
03-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Are snapbacks used in the same way as SP's?

Mickk

Moffy
06-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Cheers guys, thanks for that - tracked some down at cairns tackle and bait as suggested (seems i hadn't opened my eyes enough there (or asked for that matter)).

Tried them out this morning for a good session on Doggie Mackeral out around the Cairns Harbour Leads - got hits at nearly every pylon we tried. Caught a couple, biggest to 60cm, let a couple go (including early release) and went through a box of jigheads through biteoffs (no takes on wire) - good fun and am sold on them - got to love a soft plastic that only gets minor marks and small cuts from mackeral hits (only one tail cut-off all morning)

Moffy

nonibbles
06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Check the link at the bottom of fordo's post, go to soft plastics on the index bar and select terminator snapbacks. Service is very good - also tt jigheads.

max_power
10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
i have just gotten into snapbacks for reefies. On the weekend just gone, I fished all day for the use of three plastics. one of those got taken under a bommie, the other two got retired through starting to get ripped up. I got 60 fish on those three, compared to the usual 1 or two fish per plastic, they certainly work out a great option, the reefies just love them.

I use a TT 7/0 with a 1/4 or 1/8 head. I'll be buying up big on snapbacks for my carpenteria sea faris trip in may next year.

Cheers

Scott15
18-12-2004, 07:12 PM
hey max_power

where were u fishing? i bought a couple of packs and im goin to awinya creek(fraser island) on monday and im definately gonna give em a go. let u know how i go.

devocean
20-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Am going to Hinchinbrook channel for 2 weeks in January am taking several packs to see how they go. Also given old man a couple as he is going to Weipa shortly will post back on performance