PDA

View Full Version : Tying your Slugs on.

SeaHunt
18-12-2004, 06:51 AM
So all you spotty chasers out there, how do you connect your line to the slug, via a splitring or a snap, or do you just tie it to the wire loop at the end of the slug with a hard knot (like uni) or do you use a loop knot?
I find loops wear at the end and break. #
Tying on directly to the slug seems to wear at the knot especially with braid and not using a leader.
You end up casting your slug away (minus line) after about 50 casts. :-[
Seems like some use a leader and others dont, but does anyone use braid without a leader?

spinner
18-12-2004, 07:19 AM
I always use a leader with a snap because I like to change lures quickly and I find it gives them more freedom to move.

If I did not use a leader I would use a palomar knot to tie a snap swivel straight to the fireline.
This is a great knot for tying braid or fireline to hooks, swivels
or plain snaps.
1- double the end of line (about 3 ins)
2- push doubled end through eye of swivel
3- tie an ordinary knot with doubled line on swivel
4- push swivel through loop and pull tight

This knot will never slip

Reggy

agnes_jack
18-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Seahunt
I usually use a bimini double in the braid, uni-knot to mono shock leader, and a coastlock snap to the slug.

Regards, Tony

SeaHunt
18-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks Tony,
How long of a loop in your bimini? and what length and poundage leader?
I am assuming the leader knot and bimini knot all have to flow through your runners when you cast, does this affect the casting distance much.
I was thinking of tying fireline straight to a snap or splitring as I have used this successfully with tailor, but maybe the smoke fireline down to the slug would put them off. I have also used a short bimini loop about a foot long so it doesnt go through the guides and then a swivel double to a snap, but this would make the line even more visible. :-/

nictim
18-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I always respool my tss4 each season with 8kg line then just tie straight to slug sometimes 5-10 changers a morning
I spin flatout and only loose one or two slugs
“”And yes the MACK’S are on””

cheers Steve

webby
18-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Depends on how sporting you are.
1, tie the slug straight to the mainline 4-6kg or 6-8kg
2. otherwise run a 10-12kg clear flurocarbon leader
3. if using braid double it and run the same leader as 2
4. doesnt really matter what strengrth you use, they'll bite through anything.
5. speed is the key, as they usually hit the tail end of bait to cripple it first then come back for the rest.
No swivels just strait to the split ring
rgards

Sportfish_5
18-12-2004, 06:57 PM
When the spotties are on I dont muck around with fancy knots or leaders ;D ;D Tie straight to main line (I run braid) with uni knot. I am there for a good time not a long time ;D

The key is speed and you will rarely get bitten off by the fish the hits it first.

Cheers

Greg

agnes_jack
19-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Seahunt
I like to have my bimini long enough to do at least a few wraps of the reel spool, the shock leader only needs to be about 18 inches so the only knot that has to go through the runners is the bimini. I like the long double cause most of my spinning is off the rocks, helps a bit when your landing the fish. The shock leader seems to be less likely to give at the snap knot during the cast, and absorbs some of the shock from the cast and from the hit.

Regards, Tony

NeilD
20-12-2004, 12:29 PM
I use fireline and a mono leader tied straight to the slug. The leader also reminds me to stop winding and saves afair bit of tip damage when jigging/spinning beacons.

Neil

nictim
21-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I stand corrected
Saturday lost 12 slugs ( bite offs) dropped 4 at the boat 1 off the gaff total in boat “TWO” in 5 years of spinning macks I have never had such a shit day could not get it together and now I think I have stuffed up my shoulder
Will have to take my young bloke with me on Thursday and I will do the gaffing

Cheers Steve

SeaHunt
22-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Bad luck Steve , when you said I spin flatout and only loose one or two slugs , maybe the fish are getting faster or flatout isn't what it used to be. # ;D # #;D
I take it you are using mono. Maybe you should try braid with a bimini loop at the end to split ring or snap.
People are always saying braid (fireline) cant stand abrasion and will break, I don't exactly agree, try to cut it with a not so sharp pair of side cutters, it wont break and still has a lot of strength left after it is damaged. Any old blunt side cutters will cut mono.
I have had tailor give my fireline a good chew and it hasn't let go yet.
I know mac teeth are bigger , but I dont think they would easily cut through doubled fireline. Next time I catch one I will do some experiments with line on his teeth at home. #::)

spinner
22-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Nictim, I tried it your way and took off my trace,tied 8kg mono
directly on to ganged hooks and didn`t lose one. Lot of luck involved there. Even got a couple of spanos with my little Laguna.

Tony_N
22-12-2004, 12:45 PM
I stand corrected
Saturday lost 12 slugs ( bite offs)

Cheers Steve

Steve - you must make your own slugs - 12!!! Are you tempted yet to use some wire?

Tony